+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when did our common law relationship start?

citrus255

Jun 10, 2009
Hello every body...

Onthe form Application for permanent residence in Canada, question 9 asks :

If you are married or in a common-law relationship, provide the date on which you were married or entered into the common- law relationship.

I am in a common law relationship, do they want us to provide the date we met, the date we moved in together or the date we have been living together for one year.

i have asked CIC but keep getting different answers from different agents.

Thanks for the help!!!

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
The definition is clearly stated on Page 4(depending on the language etc) in the Part 2 of the Application for Sponsorship guide IM3999.

"Common-law partner
You are a common-law partner if you are a person of the opposite or same sex, who is living with the
sponsor in a conjugal relationship and have done so for a period of at least one year. If your application is approved and you become a permanent resident of Canada, you will have to meet the definition of a common-law partner before you can exercise any rights or privileges associated with common-law status."

Your relationship normally would have started and progressed over time, BEFORE you were common-law, unless you met and started living together on the same day.

Start of relationship - date when you met and started dating
Start of Common-law - date when you actually started living together

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
I meant to add....you cannot claim common-law rights and priviledges by CIC standards until you have been living together for at least a year - but you have to have been living together for a year, in order to claim that status....[catch 22'ish sounding sorry].