+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can we apply for marriage certificate

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
Hi friends,

My husband and I just got married in Ontario on 15th. September,2019. When should we start to apply for the marriage certificate? I saw 2 different versions.

1. Apply it right away after the marriage ceremony happens. Wait it until it has been registered. It might takes 15-20 weeks currently.
2. Wait and call frequently to Ontario service to see if the certificate has been registered and ready for apply.

Our case is that we're moving to BC in 2 or 3 months. So the address is quite important. If we can receive it within 2 months we will write the address in Ontario. If not, we just write our friend's address in BC.
We need it for applying my PR through family class, also i'm waiting for my visitor extension. So I've been told that we can speed up our certificate process. But we have no idea how to do it. Just go the Ontario service directly and ask for it ? Does my case have enough reason for urgent service?

Please help me! Thank you all!

matchamochi

Sep 11, 2019
You need to wait 6-8 weeks after the marriage gets registered to order a marriage certificate. It will take 15 business days for the certificate to come in the mail and the cost of that is $15. You can also choose the expedited process (premium service) which is 5 business days for the delivery for $45. They also have an emergency service option but you’ll have to confirm to see if your situation can be classified as one of the proofs of urgency that they require. But it looks like the ETA for the emergency service is the same (5 days) as the premium service ETA.

Here’s the official Service Ontario website which has all the information you need: https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-marriage-certificate-online

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
We applied the very next day and sent a letter with a rush request and the reason. We had ours within 10 business days of being married (in toronto)

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
We applied the very next day and sent a letter with a rush request and the reason. We had ours within 10 business days of being married (in toronto)
Thank you. Did it happen this year? Do we need to call them first to see if our case is urgent. You said that you sent a letter, means email or fax or we can go there in person?

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
You need to wait 6-8 weeks after the marriage gets registered to order a marriage certificate. It will take 15 business days for the certificate to come in the mail and the cost of that is $15. You can also choose the expedited process (premium service) which is 5 business days for the delivery for $45. They also have an emergency service option but you’ll have to confirm to see if your situation can be classified as one of the proofs of urgency that they require. But it looks like the ETA for the emergency service is the same (5 days) as the premium service ETA.

Here’s the official Service Ontario website which has all the information you need: https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-marriage-certificate-online
Yeah, that's what website says. I guess we will try to contact them first. Thank you!

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Thank you. Did it happen this year? Do we need to call them first to see if our case is urgent. You said that you sent a letter, means email or fax or we can go there in person?
2017. Sent it with the application in the mail

Bungali88

Aug 2, 2019
Hi friends,

My husband and I just got married in Ontario on 15th. September,2019. When should we start to apply for the marriage certificate? I saw 2 different versions.

1. Apply it right away after the marriage ceremony happens. Wait it until it has been registered. It might takes 15-20 weeks currently.
2. Wait and call frequently to Ontario service to see if the certificate has been registered and ready for apply.

Our case is that we're moving to BC in 2 or 3 months. So the address is quite important. If we can receive it within 2 months we will write the address in Ontario. If not, we just write our friend's address in BC.
We need it for applying my PR through family class, also i'm waiting for my visitor extension. So I've been told that we can speed up our certificate process. But we have no idea how to do it. Just go the Ontario service directly and ask for it ? Does my case have enough reason for urgent service?

Please help me! Thank you all!
I can confirm that you can apply for an 'emergency' service. I was able to get my marriage certificate processed within 2 weeks as my visa was about to expire. There is a number that you can call if you go onto the service Ontario website, I believe the marriage office is in North Bay. The lady I spoke to was fantastic and gave me a fax number. I wrote the explanation for the quick service request and faxed it. No problems whatsoever.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I can confirm that you can apply for an 'emergency' service. I was able to get my marriage certificate processed within 2 weeks as my visa was about to expire. There is a number that you can call if you go onto the service Ontario website, I believe the marriage office is in North Bay. The lady I spoke to was fantastic and gave me a fax number. I wrote the explanation for the quick service request and faxed it. No problems whatsoever.
This was EXACTLY my experience

Reactions: zxya024

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
Thanks a lot. Appreciate it !

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
Just some updates about my application. I applied online yesterday and faxed the proofs too.
I tracked our order number today. It says that....

We received your application for Online (15 Day) Service on September 18, 2019.

A Marriage registration matching your application has not been located. Please note that it may take up to 10 weeks from the date the marriage registration documents were received to register the event. Certificates can only be issued for a registered event.

Please wait until 10 weeks after the event date to request status on your application again.

If you have any questions, please contact ServiceOntario:

1-800-461-2156 (outside Toronto but within North America)
416-325-8305 (in Toronto or outside North America)
416-325-3408 (TTY/Teletypewriter)

Bungali88

Aug 2, 2019
Just some updates about my application. I applied online yesterday and faxed the proofs too.

A Marriage registration matching your application has not been located. Please note that it may take up to 10 weeks from the date the marriage registration documents were received to register the event. Certificates can only be issued for a registered event.

Please wait until 10 weeks after the event date to request status on your application again.

I believe the person who performed the ceremony is required to send the forms off to the marriage office within a week or 2. If you have only just got married then this might be why. I am sure that as soon as they receive your registration form then they will process. Either that or it just hasn't updated online yet and the office deal with it straight away before it goes online.

You'll be fine!

Reactions: zxya024

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019

Until now. I haven't received any updates on their website yet. So, I might make a call to seem. But seems really hard to talk a person there, just voice massages.

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
Until now. I haven't received any updates on their website yet. So, I might make a call to seem. But seems really hard to talk a person there, just voice massages.
I dailed 416 325 8305 many many times. Only automatic voice massage to intruct you how to track status online. I want to speak the person there, how can I do it??? There is no one I can speak to. Help.... It's been 1 week already

Bungali88

Aug 2, 2019
Here..
When your marriage licence application is completed and ready to be submitted, it must be presented to the Office of the City Clerk, First Floor, City Hall, 500 E. Donald St. If you have specific questions about the marriage license application process, please call the Office of the City Clerk at 807-625-2230.