+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When Can International Students Safely Take A Break From Their Studies?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Lets say you're an international college student in Canada, and you have to acquire a certain number of credits to get your diploma. Your college operates throughout the year. It has 3 semesters in one year. Jan - May, May - Sep, Sep - Jan.

Now the question is, are you expected to study throughout the year in all semesters continuously or can you take a break in one semester? How long can your break be? When can you take a break?

Will your break affect your chances of being eligible for PGWP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lets say you're an international college student in Canada, and you have to acquire a certain number of credits to get your diploma. Your college operates throughout the year. It has 3 semesters in one year. Jan - May, May - Sep, Sep - Jan.

Now the question is, are you expected to study throughout the year in all semesters continuously or can you take a break in one semester? How long can your break be? When can you take a break?

You can only take a break if it a scheduled break so other students would also be on a break.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Pretty much all colleges operate year-round. Most programs run Sept-Apr, with May-Aug being a scheduled break. However, that isn't universal. You need to look at the specific program that you are taking and what the scheduled breaks are for that program.

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
depends on what do you mean by take off ? if your program operates in the summer, then you will have to study in the summer, you cannot skip a semester.
My program simply states that you have to acquire a certain number of credits to get your diploma. And the approximate completion time is 2 years. It doesn't mention anything about it operating only in the summer. You can start the program at any semester.

By take off, I was referring to what you usually see in universities and high schools - the summer break. In a 3-4 year university program, students get a 3 month summer break every year. So I'm just wondering if colleges in Canada operate that way too or if there's no break.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My program simply states that you have to acquire a certain number of credits to get your diploma. And the approximate completion time is 2 years. It doesn't mention anything about it operating only in the summer. You can start the program at any semester.

By take off, I was referring to what you usually see in universities and high schools - the summer break. In a 3-4 year university program, students get a 3 month summer break every year. So I'm just wondering if colleges in Canada operate that way too or if there's no break.
Depends on the program. Many don’t have summers off like most university courses.

Reactions: StealthyCelery

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

As @canuck78 mentioned, it's dependent on the program. For example, I have two friends doing GBM, one of them chose International Business Management(IBM) and the other Chose Human Resource Management(HRM) for their second year. IBM has a summer intake while HRM doesn't, therefore the person who chose IBM has to start in the summer without a break while the one doing HRM gets the summer off.

Reactions: StealthyCelery