+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when can I use OHIP

mm

Aug 4, 2008
Hey guys, I got very mixed information from different sites on the net, so I was just wondering..I landed on May 9th and in June I was out of Canada for a week. I`m supposed to be eligible for OHIP in August but in September I`m going away for 28 days, so it`s gonna be 35 days away within the first 6 months of my stay in Ontario. Now can I consider the date of my return from my vacation in June the date of my settlement in Ontario?
One of the sites was saying that I have to wait the first 153 days since my arrival to use the health card, is this true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't have to wait 153 days. Whenever they give you the card, you can start using it.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Leon said:
No, you don't have to wait 153 days. Whenever they give you the card, you can start using it.
Correct me if i am wrong. MM can start using OHIP right away but he actually has to be present in Ontario for 153 days, otherwise he can end up with additional 3 month waiting period.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that is the way it is too. They require you to stay in Canada so so long in the first 6 months and after that at least so so long every year. If you don't, you can lose your OHIP and have to do the waiting time again. They do have some exceptions for people who are leaving ON for a certain amount of time to work, study etc. that they can still keep their OHIP if they tell beforehand. I do not know if they actually check if people are in ON or not. Maybe they don't.

californiajeninca

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I'm not sure if someone has asked this or not but I'm a little confused. I have applied by Inland Spousal Sponsership. We live in Ontario. From what I see, they haven't started processing my app. I have a visitors record (I'm a US citizen). Can I apply for OHIP or must I wait for my AIP? Can I use my VR as proof of Immigration eligiblity? Thanks in advance for any help.

California Jen

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try it. AB would give you insurance but they are nice. From what I have heard about OHIP, I don't think you will get it 'til you have your AIP.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
californiajeninca said:
Thanks Leon,

No harm in trying as they can only say no.
I know two people that tried (before AIP) in Ottawa, both were refused.

californiajeninca

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand Baloo. Unfortunately for them or me, I am one of those bulldogs where if someone says you can't I just try to do it anyways. I come from a line of patient and agressive women. We'll see what happens and I'll let you know what they say.

:)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
californiajeninca said:
I understand Baloo. Unfortunately for them or me, I am one of those bulldogs where if someone says you can't I just try to do it anyways. I come from a line of patient and agressive women. We'll see what happens and I'll let you know what they say.

:)
I would certainly try.