+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When Can I Start Work?

sarinavene

Nov 25, 2011
Hello, my husband and I are planning to move to Canada next year. He is Canadian, I am Bermudian. We are just beginning the process of preparing my permanent residence application for a spouse, and I understand it takes a while for approval. My question is, when can I start working in Canada? I read somewhere that you are eligible to work after you pass the first stage of your application, but I'm not sure what the first stage is. Do I have to wait until my permanent residence application is totally completed, which may take several months, before I can accept a job in Canada?

Thanks,
Sarina

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It depends how you apply...

If you apply inland, then you can work after stage 1 approval (stage 1 approval takes about 10-11 months).

If you apply outland, then you can only work once the processing of your application is totally completed.

If you want to work earlier, you can always try to find an employer who is willing to offer you a job and go through the LMO (labour market opinion) process. If the employer can obtain an approved LMO, you can then apply for a work permit. Finding such an employer definitely isn't easy - but no reason you can't try!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Bermudian, if you apply outland, you would be processed in Buffalo. The process of outland starts in Mississauga where your husband will be approved as a sponsor. This takes 66 days right now, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp After that, your file goes to Buffalo where 80% of cases are done by 11 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#west but I think the average there is more like 8 months last time I checked. After that you would have your PR and can work, study etc.

If you apply inland, the file goes to Vegreville. It currently takes 11 to 12 months for first stage approval, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp and after that 8 months for PR. At first stage approval, you would be able to get an open work permit and probably health care as well. With inland, you must be in Canada when you apply and you should stay in Canada during your processing. It is a requirement of inland that you live in Canada so if you leave and for some reason are unable to return, your application would be gone.

With outland, you could apply right now before you even go to Canada but if you apply before your husband moves, you both must show plans to move to Canada when you get your PR. It could a be a job offer, having arranged housing etc. or at the very least some written up plans on where you will live, what kind of jobs you will be looking for, letters from relatives and friends knowing of your plans and offering you their help or to stay at their houses until you find a place etc.