+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can I apply for sowp ?

Jan 21, 2024
Quebec
Hello,

I submitted an inland (Quebec) sponsorship application in December and received an email confirming that IRCC has received my application. Later, I received an email requesting me to submit a CSQ Request Letter to MIFI.

I have a few questions, and I would appreciate if anyone can help:
1. How long does it usually take to receive an MIFI undertaking letter or approval letter after submitting the required documents?
2. I was unable to link my application on GCkey. Can I only link it after IRCC receives the confirmation letter from MIFI?
3. When can I apply for sowp? Can I apply before MIFI sends the undertaking letter or after?
4. My work permit will expire at the end of May. Can I still attend Francisation while applying for sowp?

Thank you for answering!

amanya47

Oct 18, 2023
Hi,

CSQ thru Mifi usually takes around 3-4 months depending on the case.
As for SOWP you should apply as soon as possible, using the AOR of the spousal sponsorship application, takes around 4 months also per the processing timelines.
Also, I think you can't take the paid classes unless you have CSQ, not sure if the work permit is sufficient.

Gckey can be linked using the AOR, it has nothing to do with the Mifi. Make sure you enter everything correctly and that at the bottom you put 2 for the number of applicants if it's only your spouse.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Can't get paid for classes until you have the SIN number so that means either a work permit or PR decision in the case of spousal sponsorship. My wife has been taking the classes for almost a year without pay. We applied for her SOWP in October, with no updates, we called in mid-December and they had said they basically haven't started anything with it yet at that time, so no idea if it has progressed. I contacted our MP this week to see if we can get an update.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I submitted an inland (Quebec) sponsorship application in December and received an email confirming that IRCC has received my application. Later, I received an email requesting me to submit a CSQ Request Letter to MIFI.

I have a few questions, and I would appreciate if anyone can help:
1. How long does it usually take to receive an MIFI undertaking letter or approval letter after submitting the required documents?
2. I was unable to link my application on GCkey. Can I only link it after IRCC receives the confirmation letter from MIFI?
3. When can I apply for sowp? Can I apply before MIFI sends the undertaking letter or after?
4. My work permit will expire at the end of May. Can I still attend Francisation while applying for sowp?

Thank you for answering!
You need to be prepared for a long process. Immigration to Quebec takes a long time and there will be long periods of time where you will hear nothing.

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
It is indeed a long process. We got a reply from our MP today regarding our request to check on the SOWP and PR. In short, it wasn't a helpful request, they got no new information and it came with the same "Be patient" response agents/officer have given us over and over.