+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can I apply for PR?

Spot

Feb 22, 2010
hi,
I along with my family are very new to Alberta (less than 2 months). I am working here as a "Postdoctoral Research Fellow" in a University (i think- postdoc falls under University professor category in CIC occupational list). We got valid visa till the beginning of 2011 (Only 1-yr worker visa). I am having work experience (in research field, Electrical engineering) of 4yrs plus since the time of my PhD graduation. My wife is also having work permit as stated in her visa, but she has not started working at the moment (may be later).

My queries:
1) I have got valid IELTS (English test) score. If we would like to apply for PR application, what would be the best time to apply - can I apply immediately or wait few more months (if so, after how many months)?
2) Which one would be the better option for me: to apply through Federal Skill worker or Provincial nominee program (here AINP) or if there any other?? If AINP, am I eligible (as my job offer is just for a year)?
3) If I wanna start another job after the completion of this current job, would I be eligible to search another job ? How are the things associated with this?
4) Let's say if I apply for PR application in May 2010, and if i don't get my PR application APPROVAL before my visa expires (Jan 2011), do I have to leave Canada along with my Family? How are things linked with this matter if I wanna extend my stay?
5) Someone told me, I will be able to apply for PR after the completion of 1 yr stay in Canada, is it true? Can't I apply for PR immediately? as i have got more than 4yrs of work experience (since 2005 Nov.).

Thanks in advance.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
You can apply as soon as you fulfilled the requirements and reach a score of at least 67 in the self-assessment tool.

Follow this link to see if you are eligible to apply for PR under skilled worker category.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/index.asp

And the self-assessment tool:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

Spot

Feb 22, 2010
Thanks imigrate for your prompt response. I highly appreciate.

Thx for providing the link for the test.

I have a question regarding "English proficiency" factor. What is the validity of IELTS score (how many years)?

I gave IELTS tests two times, once in
[1] 2008 Nov. (scored: R=6, L=6.5, W=6, S=8) and
[2] 2009 Nov. (Scored: R=6.5, L=6, W=6, S=7)

and would you please tell me how to calculate English proficiency points based on my above scores for Reading (R), Listening (L), Writing (W) and Speaking (S) (which one to choose [1] or [2] ?):
High Proficiency (Maximum of sixteen (16) points)
Moderate Proficiency (Maximum of eight (8 ) points)
Basic Proficiency(Maximum of two (2) points)

Thx again.

ps. my education till Ph.D. was all in English medium

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Spot said:
Thanks imigrate for your prompt response. I highly appreciate.

Thx for providing the link for the test.

I have a question regarding "English proficiency" factor. What is the validity of IELTS score (how many years)?

I gave IELTS tests two times, once in
[1] 2008 Nov. (scored: R=6, L=6.5, W=6, S=8) and
[2] 2009 Nov. (Scored: R=6.5, L=6, W=6, S=7)

and would you please tell me how to calculate English proficiency points based on my above scores for Reading (R), Listening (L), Writing (W) and Speaking (S) (which one to choose [1] or [2] ?):
High Proficiency (Maximum of sixteen (16) points)
Moderate Proficiency (Maximum of eight (8 ) points)
Basic Proficiency(Maximum of two (2) points)

Thx again.

ps. my education till Ph.D. was all in English medium
1. It is valid for 1 year, so you would have to use the Nov/09 score which is 12 points.
2. You know that Post Doctoral Fellow is classified under the NOC as 4122 which is not on the list of "38"

PMM

PMM

Spot

Feb 22, 2010
Thanks a lot PMM for letting me know the points plus information about NOC code.

Could you please clear the following:
*** 2. You know that Post Doctoral Fellow is classified under the NOC as 4122 which is not on the list of "38"

since I fall into Electrical and Electronics Engineering , what would be my code then during application?

[In Natural and applied sciences and related occupations, here i fall into # Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineers (under Skill Level A)]

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Spot said:
Thanks a lot PMM for letting me know the points plus information about NOC code.

Could you please clear the following:
*** 2. You know that Post Doctoral Fellow is classified under the NOC as 4122 which is not on the list of "38"

since I fall into Electrical and Electronics Engineering , what would be my code then during application?

[In Natural and applied sciences and related occupations, here i fall into # Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineers (under Skill Level A)]

2133 Noc for Electronics Engineer, again not on the list of "38" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2008/2008-11-28a.asp
For NOCs you go to http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spot, if your NOC is not on the list of 38, you need either a permanent job offer (AEO) or to have been working in Canada for a year or longer to be able to apply as a skilled worker. You can look for another job if you want to stay longer but before you can start another job, you would need a new LMO and a new work permit. If you want to apply through PNP, you would also need a permanent job offer and employer support. If you manage to stay another year, you would qualify to apply under CEC (2 years skilled work experience).

Spot

Feb 22, 2010
To PMM and Leon,

I just went through CIC pages and found that 4121 University Professors is among list of 38. If we go further in to see its sub-categories, e.g.,

where we could see
Unit Group
4122 Post-Secondary Teaching and Research Assistants

Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.

Example Titles
college teaching assistant
graduate assistant – university
postdoctoral fellow ===================> won't I fall into this sub-category of "4121 University Professors"?, If so, won't I be eligible to submit the application if I can at least make 67?
research assistant, university

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
4122 does not fall under 4121. They are two different NOC's. To qualify for the list of 38, you need to be under the exact NOC that is on the list.

You can also check if you fit into 4131: College and Other Vocational Instructors which is on the list.

If you can make your case to immigration that you have at least a 1 year experience in the last 10 years in an occupation which is on the list of 38, then you can apply, provided you have 67 or more points.