+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When are PRs considered tax residents of Canada

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!

I've just received my COPR and am planning to do my landing in Vancouver sometime in the next few months, but I will be leaving Canada immediately after that and might only come back to Canada a year or two later to live for an extended period.

Am I correct in understanding that I'll only be considered a tax resident of Canada when I have actually started living there (having "residential ties" in Canada) and not once I perform my PR landing?

Thank you for your help!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi everyone!

I've just received my COPR and am planning to do my landing in Vancouver sometime in the next few months, but I will be leaving Canada immediately after that and might only come back to Canada a year or two later to live for an extended period.

Am I correct in understanding that I'll only be considered a tax resident of Canada when I have actually started living there (having "residential ties" in Canada) and not once I perform my PR landing?

Thank you for your help!

Yes that is correct. Once you actually start living here and work then you are considered a tax resident of Canada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Usually in many countries spending 183 days or more in a tax year in a country someone could be considered tax resident in addition to the work and establishing a residence.

Reactions: Jakev