+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When applying EE, do I need a LMIA if I have worked for an employer for 1+ year on a Post Graduate Work Permit

Eastern66

Sep 25, 2022
Hello.

I am running into a couple of questions when building my Express Entry (EE) profile. Can anyone please provide some insights about my questions?

Q1. Since I am working on a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), basically an open work permit, my employer did not mention anything related to LMIA to me. However, the express entry profile questions seem to assume that I am working for a specific employer. So does anyone know if I need to ask my employer to get a LMIA? And can anyone see if my answers to the following questions are correct?

Profile Question 1: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada?​
Answer: No​
Profile Question 2: Is the applicant currently working in Canada?​
Answer: Yes​
Profile Question 3: Does the applicant have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?​
Profile Question 4: Is the applicant's job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?​
Profile Question 5: Has the applicant been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)​
Profile Question 6: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the current work permit?​

Q2. Is my current job considered as a job offer when applying for EE?

Q3. My job title is Statistical Data Analyst. So should I use 2161 (Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries), 2172 (Database analysts and data administrators), or 1254 (Statistical officers and related research support occupations) as my job NOC?

Q4. According to this page, post-graduate work is LMIA exempted, but I am not sure if my job is also LMIA exempted? So for the following question, did I make the right selection?
Profile Question 7: Which of these categories does the applicant's job fall under?​
Answer: Work permit required, no LMIA required​

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited: