+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When and how will they reject my access to Canada?

mr.gk

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Hi All,

I'm PR since 19 Sep 2015. I stayed only for 7 days. I had another visit on 31 Dec 2017 and stayed for 10 days only (Total count is just 17 days :(

My question is:

1) When the officer at the airport will reject my entry to Canada?
2) Can I move permanently in Dec, 2020 prior to the expiry of PR card?
3) Can I guarantee the access in Dec, 2020, if I continue to visit Canada every 6 months for example? I mean what is required to guarantee the access in Dec, 2020?

Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You are required to spend a total of 730 days in Canada in the first 5 years from landing. Based on dates provided, you won’t be able to meet that requirement by October 10, 2018 regardless of how many trips you make or how often before December 2020. Any time you enter Canada after October 10, you risk being reported for failing to meet RO. If that happens, they will begin the process of revoking your PR status. You can appeal, but with not having made any attempt to establish yourself in Canada (barring any H&C reason you may have), chances are pretty good you would loose you PR. You could enter Canada, but if reported, time in Canada won’t count for residency until a decision is rendered.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Hi All,

I'm PR since 19 Sep 2015. I stayed only for 7 days. I had another visit on 31 Dec 2017 and stayed for 10 days only (Total count is just 17 days :(

My question is:

3) Can I guarantee the access in Dec, 2020, if I continue to visit Canada every 6 months for example? I mean what is required to guarantee the access in Dec, 2020?

Thanks.
An officer cannot refuse entry to a PR.

However, they can report you for failing to meet the RO, which would then lead to a removal order being issued against you stripping you of your status and ordering you leave after a certain period of time (30 or 60 days). You then have the opportunity to appeal this removal order, during which time you may remain in Canada with the benefits of being a PR; but if you lose the appeal you will still be required to leave and you will lose the status. This is also explained to you in the post directly above this one.

So, You will be allowed in to Canada, but you risk losing your PR status unless you can come into Canada by October of this year and they you must stay in Canada for at least 730 more days to be able to not risk being reported and having your status taken away. During that time, you must also not apply for a new PR Card, or have any interaction with IRCC.

Canada gave you PR status to be able to settle in Canada and contribute to Canadian society. In return it asks that you spend a minimum of 40% of every 5 years in Canada. You now risk losing your status if you don't act and hold up your end of the deal you made when you became a PR.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
Hi All,

My question is:

Thanks.
Hi

U have enough time . No problem if u enter before Sep 2018. You will have 2 more years from Sep 2018 to fulfil Residency Obligation.

If you enter after Sep 2018 then the officer may report.

I stayed in Canada for 1 yr only. Then before card expiry few months before I entered Canada. No one questioned me. I dint goto to immigration counter or met any visa officer.

There is a new system at airport where u need to fill the form on system and then just go out.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi

U have enough time . No problem if u enter before Sep 2018. You will have 2 more years from Sep 2018 to fulfil Residency Obligation.

If you enter after Sep 2018 then the officer may report.

I stayed in Canada for 1 yr only. Then before card expiry few months before I entered Canada. No one questioned me. I dint goto to immigration counter or met any visa officer.

There is a new system at airport where u need to fill the form on system and then just go out.
You got lucky. There is NO guarantee that entry will be that easy. You can be diverted to Secondary Inspection for any number of reasons and that is where the real trouble starts...

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
It's for my family. Myself and family applied for renewal of PR Card. Family crame back to India. I was in Canada and I received 1 yr PR card. And for my family the officer offered interview and asked to apply for PRTD and inform the office once received to schedule the interview date. I submitted on H&C GROUNDS and my case yet to b finalised. Check the below.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/minister-delegate-and-1-yr-pr-card.526081/

Last edited: