+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whatsapp Gp

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
Is the whatsapp group active? Did anyone add you yet? Just asking because I would like to join too.
@Miley11:: I didn't get added yet. I tried a few other whatsapp group as well but they are full. I really had some clarifications regarding my eligibility. Are you trying for Canada PR too ? If so, would it be possible for you to provide suggestions to my earlier post ? Thanks ...

Miley11

Star Member
Mar 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
10-05-17
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Can someone please help regarding my FSW eligibility and my Years of Work Experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Been in the US since last 7 years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Masters Degree in Computer Science, USA (3 Years)
-- Teaching Assistant (Paid + 20 hrs/week) for the 6 semesters -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 1st Summer: Research Assistant (Paid + 40 hrs/week) -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 2nd Summer: Summer Internship at a Software Company (Paid + 40 hrs/week)

Question 1) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question 2)
Do I calculate this work experience as

a) [#TA Weeks * (20 hrs/week) / (30 hrs/week)] + [#RA Weeks * (40 hrs/week) / (30 hrs/week)] = FTE #Weeks of TA+RA Work Exp. ?

OR

b) [15 hrs/week * #TA weeks] + [30 hrs/week * #RA Weeks] .. (to see if this equals 1560 hrs) ==> to have 1 Year of Full Time TA+RA Work Exp. ?

One Main Question :
I have been a MS Grad for at least 2 years, during which I worked CONTINUOUSLY as TA/RA (Aug 2010 - May 2012)
==> Fall 2010 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Summer 2011 (RA, 40 hrs/week) + Fall 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2012 (TA, 20 hrs/week)
==> Even though academic years are not 52 weeks ==> Wont these 2 academic years of continuous work qualify me for at least 1 YEAR OF CONTINUOUS + PAID + FULL-TIME WORK EXP ?

Due to Summer Internship in Software Company in Summer 2012 (NOC different from NOC-4012) ==> leads to discontinuity, otherwise: was (TA, 20 hrs/week) for Fall 2012 & Spring 2013.

3) Working on Contract Projects in IT (USA)

A) Company A: Oct 2013 -- May 2015 .. (OPT + H1B)

-- Oct 2013 - July 2014 ==> Paid
-- Aug 2014 -- Sep 2014 ==> NO PAY .. (transition between project + on OPT-EAD)
-- Sep 2014 - May 2015 ==> Paid

Switch from Company A to B (June & July) -- No Pay:

B) Company B: July 2015 --Jan 2017 .. (H1B)

-- Aug 2015 -- March 2016 ==> Paid
-- April 2016 ==> Not Paid
-- May 2016 -- Feb 2017 ==> Paid

Question) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question) All over, AM I ELIGIBLE FOR FSW ?
Question) If so, How many Total Years of Work Experience can I get from my Experience ?

Please suggest .. Thanks ..
Could you please clarify what you mean when you say you were TA and RA? Were these two separate jobs? Based on what you mentioned it appears that these are two separate positions that you held most likely in different departments and/or different mentors. Is that right?

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
Could you please clarify what you mean when you say you were TA and RA? Were these two separate jobs? Based on what you mentioned it appears that these are two separate positions that you held most likely in different departments and/or different mentors. Is that right?
@Miley11: Thanks for your response. I was a TA and RA in the Department of Computer Science.
Teaching Assistant:
I switched between teaching Java Core (CS-145) and Data Structures in Java (CS-146). I was a TA during either the Fall or Spring Semesters, teaching/grading/presenting/mentoring/holding office hours/invigilating exams for undergrad students. The Lab Sessions of these particular courses were under my control. While the Professor taught the main course, I handled the Lab Session .. (hence I was assisting the professor). At times it did happen that the same course held during different semesters, were not taught by the same professor.

Research Assistant: Summer 2011, I was a Research Assistant under my Advisor performing research and experimentation for funded projects.

Teaching Assistant & Research Assistant fall under the same category: NOC-4012
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=4012&ver=11&_ga=2.238734469.444329943.1513740974-378005491.1513525050
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

Last edited:

Miley11

Star Member
Mar 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
10-05-17
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
@Prakash17

Thanks for sharing the info.

Here is my experience: During grad school, I worked part-time i.e., 20 hours/week as RA in the same department, under the same mentor, for 20 months - no breaks in between. I had one offer letter - meaning it was one job. My responsibilities remained the same through out which I could list under one reference letter. I used this to meet the minimum one year continuous employment requirement. Later, I held another RA position - different department, different mentor. I listed it as a different job and got points for it.

I guess, what I am trying to say is that if you held the TA position at the university, without break in your salary in between semesters and without a significant change in your duties, then you may be able to show it as continuous employment in one position. It appears that you took on full time jobs during Summers. Did you stop TA during that time?

I had come across information on CIC website which said, if you had a significant gap in your employment, you may provide an explanation. You may try to possibly explain a break in your TA position due to Summer break at university??!!! Not sure about it though. You might want to do more research on that.

Also be aware that you will have to provide reference letters for each job listed. The reference letters must reflect the dates of employment. Will your professor be willing to include the dates you were employed by a different professor?

P.S You can list your Summer jobs independently to claim additional points, provided you can get reference letters.

Hope this helps.

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
@Prakash17

Thanks for sharing the info.

Here is my experience: During grad school, I worked part-time i.e., 20 hours/week as RA in the same department, under the same mentor, for 20 months - no breaks in between. I had one offer letter - meaning it was one job. My responsibilities remained the same through out which I could list under one reference letter. I used this to meet the minimum one year continuous employment requirement. Later, I held another RA position - different department, different mentor. I listed it as a different job and got points for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this link:
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=4012&ver=11&_ga=2.238734469.444329943.1513740974-378005491.1513525050

NOC-4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants
Main duties
Post-secondary teaching assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
  • Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
  • Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
  • Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.
Research assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
  • Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
  • Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.
My TA/RA summary as below :

Teaching Assistantship + Research Assistantship (20 months:: Aug 2010 -- April 2012) - Continuous :

Fall 2010 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Summer 2011(RA) + Fall 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2012 (TA, 20 hrs/week)

Research Assistantship :
Summer 2011 (40 hrs/week OR 20 hrs/week ==> (I think it was 40 hrs/week since International Students can work till 40 hrs/week during Summers/Breaks)

Remaining Teaching Assistantship (8 months:: Aug 2012 -- April 2013)
Fall 2012 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2013 (TA, 20 hrs/week)

If I can get 1 letter from the Director of Department of Computer Science stating that:

JOB TITLE:
POST-SECONDARY TEACHING & RESEARCH ASSISTANT

a) My [TA + RA duties COMBINED were from Aug 2010 -- April 2012 (20 months Continuous) ] + [ Remaining TA from Aug 2012 -- April 2013 (8 months) ]

b) My TA duties were from this date to this date, my roles and responsibilities (matching with that of NOC-4012: TA duties) , salary, hours etc
c) My RA duties were from this date to this date, my roles and responsibilities
(matching with that of NOC-4012: RA duties), salary, hours etc

PS: If need be, I can also get a separate letter from my RA advisor ==> validating my RA experience (as will be specified by the Director of the Department of Computer Science in the RA section in the letter he provides)

Question 1) Since my TA duties + RA duties match with the TA/RA duties specified for
NOC-4012 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (TA & RA being under the same NOC-4012) ==> Can I claim the 20 months of TA/RA work experience during (Aug 2010 -- April 2012) towards the 1 Year Continuous Employment Requirement ?

Question 2) How did you prove 20 months of 20 hrs/week RA experience as 1 year of Full-Time work experience ? considering CIC wants to see 1560 hrs of continuous experience as (1 Year Equivalent: [30 hrs/week * (52 weeks/12 months)] = 1560 hrs = [15 hrs/week * (104 weeks/24 months)] ) ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess, what I am trying to say is that if you held the TA position at the university, without break in your salary in between semesters and without a significant change in your duties, then you may be able to show it as continuous employment in one position. It appears that you took on full time jobs during Summers. Did you stop TA during that time?

For Summer 2011 RA ==> My advisor wanted me to work for him .. (But the RA work falls under NOC-4012)

I had come across information on CIC website which said, if you had a significant gap in your employment, you may provide an explanation. You may try to possibly explain a break in your TA position due to Summer break at university??!!! Not sure about it though. You might want to do more research on that.

Question) How much is a significant Gap ?

Question) During Summer 2012, I worked as an Intern at a Software Development Company. I will be able to get reference letters from them. By showing these reference letters (I could explain I got interested in this opportunity and hence took it up, or else I would have carried on with TA/RA work during the Summer of 2012).

In case I am falling short of my FSW eligibility -- not being able to claim (20 months of TA/RA work exp. from Aug 2010 - April 2012 as 1 year continuous employment eligibility) ==> Can I explain my reason of doing the Summer 2012 Internship and try to ADD the remaining TA experience from Aug 2012 -- April 2013 (8 months), to make it 28 months and thus claim at least 1 year continuous employment eligibility (24 months of part time) ?

Also be aware that you will have to provide reference letters for each job listed. The reference letters must reflect the dates of employment. Will your professor be willing to include the dates you were employed by a different professor?

Yes. I think I can manage this.

P.S You can list your Summer jobs independently to claim additional points, provided you can get reference letters.

Ok .. I will do this for my Summer 2012 Internship @ Software Development Company.

Hope this helps.
@Miley11:: Thanks for your response. Would it be possible for you to provide a bit more of clarification. I have provided my response (along with my questions). I really am a bit concerned regarding me being able to meet the 1 year continuous work experience eligibility.

Last edited:

arpbhatnagar

Jan 7, 2018
Hi - i have realized that the issues people in the US ( whether citizens or visa holders) is different from other places.

So i am looking for a gp for people in the US moving to US who preferably ae about to get PPR or got it already.

Pls share link.
Hi Vaibhav

Thanks for starting the thread. Can you please add me to the group also. My number is 574.401.9002. I would much appreciate your help.

Thanks
Arpit