+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whatsapp chat or screenshots?

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I am in the process of gathering proof of past contact and we mainly used to chat on whatsapp.

So, should I get screenshots for the whole chat for the past 2 years or should I export out a text version of the chat and attach that?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
My husband exported the last 6 months (at the time) of our WhatsApp chats and it was 800+ pages. We picked out a few recent important convos that each took up a page (discussing some wedding plans, me buying a car, talking as we were heading out to see one another), and combined that with a few older email exchanges to show how long we had been together. You definitely want to curate it down to 10 pages, but we just copy and pasted the exported logs into a word doc rather than using screenshots.

Reactions: frightenedpanda

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
My husband exported the last 6 months (at the time) of our WhatsApp chats and it was 800+ pages. We picked out a few recent important convos that each took up a page (discussing some wedding plans, me buying a car, talking as we were heading out to see one another), and combined that with a few older email exchanges to show how long we had been together. You definitely want to curate it down to 10 pages, but we just copy and pasted the exported logs into a word doc rather than using screenshots.
ah okay. Thankyou!

Reactions: phaeo

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
My husband and I have thousands of pages of chat history (we have known each other since 2009). We exported everything to a word-compatible format since we could make the font smaller and still readable with less wasted space than with screenshots of apps, and then we excerpted the important bits. The maximum is 10 pages, so you'll have to really pick and choose to keep it under that limit. We aimed for picking the real emotional bits of our conversations (tear-jerkers and/or sweet parts, like if that part of the conversation was in a movie/show, they would be memorable lines), and conversations that discuss really important things (parents being hospitalized, mental health, etc.). We sampled so that there was some conversation from every year of us knowing each other to support that we have been in constant communication this whole time.

Our situation was considered a "complex" case (PA has criminal charges, plus we have some red flags in our relationship according to IRCC standards - age gap greater than 10 years, PA and sponsor are different ethnicities, PA has been married once before but sponsor has not), so we submitted 40 pages of chat logs and another 5 pages of call logs as proof of our relationship (our lawyer said this is okay in our application since we are not a straightforward case). However, if your case is not complex, you should definitely try to keep within the 10 page limit and not overwhelm the IRCC officers processing your case too much.

ahmfaizan

Apr 28, 2021
Hey guys, I ued a rep for making my wifes sponsorship package. We listened to all his advice for whatsapp messages. Now problem is that he sent around 200 pages of whatsapp chat to IRCC and our application is far way behind others who applied in same timeline. Does anyone know what happens if you sned much more chat then required? Someone said IRCC has an overage pile where they keep big applications and ultimately their processing is slow. Does anyone have experience with this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys, I ued a rep for making my wifes sponsorship package. We listened to all his advice for whatsapp messages. Now problem is that he sent around 200 pages of whatsapp chat to IRCC and our application is far way behind others who applied in same timeline. Does anyone know what happens if you sned much more chat then required? Someone said IRCC has an overage pile where they keep big applications and ultimately their processing is slow. Does anyone have experience with this?
Hard to say, ie I doubt anyone knows for sure (and many other factors).

But at any rate - what could you do now to fix it? Nothing I can think of.

(Overall I would guess that sending War and Peace when what they really want is an executive summary is not a good idea, though. Brief and to the point is better. But too late to change that now)

ahmfaizan

Apr 28, 2021
Hard to say, ie I doubt anyone knows for sure (and many other factors).

But at any rate - what could you do now to fix it? Nothing I can think of.

(Overall I would guess that sending War and Peace when what they really want is an executive summary is not a good idea, though. Brief and to the point is better. But too late to change that now)
True. Thats the reason I hired a rep to navigate through these issues but according to him since my marriage is a case of non-consummated (nikkah-only) ,which is usually considered a weak case, its better to send extra evidence. I had not actually read the 10-page limit part in doc checklist otherwise I would have definitely compressed it. Hopefully they haven't thrown my app in an overage pile....

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
True. Thats the reason I hired a rep to navigate through these issues but according to him since my marriage is a case of non-consummated (nikkah-only) ,which is usually considered a weak case, its better to send extra evidence. I had not actually read the 10-page limit part in doc checklist otherwise I would have definitely compressed it. Hopefully they haven't thrown my app in an overage pile....
I am not familiar with the cultural norm. But what I've read from the forum, many ppl encountered issue with nikkah-only weddings.

Try to search and read up on them. Your rep may be wrong. Just have extra whatsapp messages will not help if they don't considered this as a full marriage. You may need to do the "rukhsati" or whatever is the next step as a fullly consumated marriage.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/search/8213208/?q=nikkah-only&o=relevance

Reactions: armoured