+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's your experience landing in Canada

lonefox

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Hey Guys,

By now many of you would have landed in Canada via express entry. Please share your experience of initial days and anything that is useful for the guys who are following your footsteps to immigrate to Canada.

Looking forward to this thread to be a one-stop place for sharing people's experiences and help each other with the information that helps anybody who would land in Canada.

Thanks!!

Reactions: Yellowcat

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
I landed in May as a sponsored spouse and am now a permanent resident. Landed by car at Couttes. Had two cats with me and imported my car.
My suggestions for things to bring and do asap are:
Get driving record for last ten years from your insurance company as this will get you about a forty percent discount. They can send it to you by email. I came from the US to BC. Don't know if it's the same everywhere.
Get your driving license. Then car insurance. If you import your car, you will need it inspected by Canadian Tire.
Get your SIN, even if you aren't working.
Apply for health card.
Get the health card separate from drivers license. That way you have two picture identifications.
Get a bank account new immigrant credit card. Set it up with draft payment on due date from checking account. That way you will never pay late and you will build your credit rating.
I always remember it is a privilege to be here and be more laid back and less in a rush than I was in the US.

Reactions: Yellowcat

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Snowisland said:
Get the health card separate from drivers license. That way you have two picture identifications.
Actually you can get both in one card. This way you can have one picture identification.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
steaky said:
Actually you can get both in one card. This way you can have one picture identification.
Agree. I got mine separate so I would have two different forms picture of ID.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
It has changed. All Care cards are being replaced with a new one including photo.I am in BC and have photo on each.
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/government-id/bc-services-card

EmeraldFei

Aug 6, 2016
Snowisland said:
I landed in May as a sponsored spouse and am now a permanent resident. Landed by car at Couttes. Had two cats with me and imported my car.
My suggestions for things to bring and do asap are:
Get driving record for last ten years from your insurance company as this will get you about a forty percent discount. They can send it to you by email. I came from the US to BC. Don't know if it's the same everywhere.
Get your driving license. Then car insurance. If you import your car, you will need it inspected by Canadian Tire.
Get your SIN, even if you aren't working.
Apply for health card.
Get a bank account new immigrant credit card. Set it up with draft payment on due date from checking account. That way you will never pay late and you will build your credit rating.
I always remember it is a privilege to be here and be more laid back and less in a rush than I was in the US.
Thank you for sharing. It's very useful!

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
In Ontario, the healthcard is not considered as valid photo ID. It is only to be used for health care. I have had it rejected a few times when I thought I could use it.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
davek1979 said:
In Ontario, the healthcard is not considered as valid photo ID. It is only to be used for health care. I have had it rejected a few times when I thought I could use it.
Yes, many places will not accept it. A driver's license is easiest. If you don't drive, you can get an Ontario Photo Card.