+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's needed for rental?

TeamBnB

Mar 8, 2015
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there are any documents one would need for renting?

i.e.: here in the UK one must proof their income, current address and will get credit checked...
what is the procedure in Canada? Is it possible to arrange a rental from oversease? Or is viewing mandatory?

Many thanks for any help!

cheers
Sophie

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TeamBnB said:
Hi everyone!

i.e.: here in the UK one must proof their income, current address and will get credit checked...
what is the procedure in Canada? Is it possible to arrange a rental from oversease? Or is viewing mandatory?

cheers
Sophie
You need proof of income or funds, references to contact, credit check is irrelevant to you. You dont need current address, just previous addresses and previous landloards contact info.

You could arrange rental oversees through an agent possibly but it wont be convenient for anyone. Better to come see what you are getting into.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
TeamBnB said:
Hi everyone!

cheers
Sophie
It all depends on what you are looking for and your immigration status. Some places require you to pay your rent.... that's it. Other places require as TeamBnB has already explained.

Yes, it is possible to find something from abroad. For this you will have to do a lot of socializing. Usually you will need to have a reference, but if not you have to convince whoever is arranging that that you will pay and that you are a genuine immigrant. This is a tough sale.

Mar 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on the landlord / organization. Make sure you have a proof of income, identity papers and if you're a student maybe a statement from someone (like your parents) that pays the rent if you cannot pay it.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sometimes, they may ask for:
  • Proof of identity: your drivers license, passport, etc.
  • Proof of employment: pay stub, appointment letter, etc.
  • Credit report: may or may not require, depends on situation
  • Personal references: someone who can vouch for your personal or professional character
Not all these are required all the time, sometimes some other may be requested also. Really, it depends on the scenario. If you work with a Realtor, they will advise you about everything. Best of luck![/list]

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
  • anujoshi said:
    Sometimes, they may ask for:
    • Proof of identity: your drivers license, passport, etc.
    • Proof of employment: pay stub, appointment letter, etc.
    • Credit report: may or may not require, depends on situation
    • Personal references: someone who can vouch for your personal or professional character
    Not all these are required all the time, sometimes some other may be requested also. Really, it depends on the scenario. If you work with a Realtor, they will advise you about everything. Best of luck!
Some rental offices (highrise buildings) require an employment letter indicating that you have been employed for at least a year (and your income should be at least 2x the rental amount), otherwise they would require a co-signor (and his income should be a least 3x your rent).