+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's it like to live in Smithers or Nelson BC?

rh551

Jan 16, 2010
Hi,
Me and my boyfriend are thinking of moving from the UK to Canada. Out of the move we would like to be close to skiing and also salmon and steelhead fly fishing. We also would like a small-ish town that is safe and has a community feel. Two places that stand out to us in our research is Smithers and Nelson. Does anyone have any comments on what life would be like to live in either of these towns? Or does anyone have any ideas to other places we should research?
Thanks- looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Becky

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rh551 said:
Hi,
Me and my boyfriend are thinking of moving from the UK to Canada. Out of the move we would like to be close to skiing and also salmon and steelhead fly fishing. We also would like a small-ish town that is safe and has a community feel. Two places that stand out to us in our research is Smithers and Nelson. Does anyone have any comments on what life would be like to live in either of these towns? Or does anyone have any ideas to other places we should research?
Thanks- looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Becky
1. Smithers gorgeous little town, good skiing excellent fishing (steelhead) but in the middle of nowhere. Nelson, more a victorian feel, old buildings, really hasn't moved out of the 60s counterculture wise. Excellent skiing but pricey. Neither town has much of an industrial base for work. Nelson especially, more of a service industry type jobs. You may want to investigate Mid Vancouver Island around Courtney. Fabulous fishing both ocean and river, good skiing Mount Washington, fairly good job base.

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I don't know about Smithers or Nelson, but Courtney has an arts fair each summer. Struck me as an interesting place to live.

PMM, you seem familiar with B.C. Are you residing in Vancouver? And were you one of the immigration officers on duty at the airport as I arrived from Hong Kong today (16th)?

rh551

Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for your help, guys. Really useful. We have visited Vancouver Island and liked the Comox area- weren't sure about the quality of the skiing as we visited in summer time. Was a lovely are though.

Toby- no I am not an immigration officer!!! Sorry! I live in the UK and have been on holiday to BC before.

Thanks for your info.