+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What're my chances of immigration through a student pathway?

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
Ok I’ll get straight to the point. Here’s my stats:

• 28 year old female, IT professional from the Philippines.
I’m self-conscious about being in mid 30s by the time I apply for PR because I know that’s less points but there’s nothing I can do about my age.

• Graduated BS Information Systems in 2020 with a 2.0 GPA (That's about 80/100 in our grading system)
I know a Master's degree might be better but because of my abysmal GPA I don’t think I’d get in. My grade is low and I graduated late because I had problematic 20s, I was in and out of school which is reflected in my transcripts. It’s a long story.

I’m looking into 2 year Post-Graduate Certificates/Diploma. Would they reject me because of my GPA?

• 11 months work experience as an IT Projects Coordinator and 1.5-2 years as a Business Analyst at a local company
I’m currently a BA, by the time I apply for schools I’d be at my job for 1.5-2 years. Should I try applying to an MNC next year? It might look better on my resume when I look for jobs in Canada, although that means leaving my stable job.

I want to study IT Project Management, Product Management, Business Analysis, or UI/UX design depending on the school I get into. I think this is the only thing looking good for me, I’m in tech which is in demand.

Should I target any specific areas in Canada to increase my chances of getting a job right away? I’ve been looking at Ontario (I searched they have a low cost of living). I’ve heard of the BC Tech Pilot Program too but I don’t know if this will apply to me in the student pathway.

So my plan is after 2 years of studying is I’ll apply for a PGWP. Work for X (how many years should I work before applying?) number of years then apply for PNP. Then after 5 years total in Canada, apply for PR.

Any thoughts? I’m so anxious about all this. Do you have any suggestions what else I can do to increase my chances at immigrating to Canada?

pessipenaldo

Nov 2, 2021
I would definitely urge to go for a masters degree preferably an MBA. If you do a Masters you get 7 more points, which you will not get if you do post grad certificate(as you already have bachelors)and subtracting the points of your age i.e at 30 you will lose 5 points. You still send up with +2 points, which will not be possible if you take post grade certificate.

Its not that hard to get into a masters from a public uni, the only drawback is that its costly. You should meet some agent who will guide you so as in which university you should apply. They would have dealt with a person who have similar profile as you and got in a Masters program. Lastly, don't be anxious, just stay calm and take pen and paper, write down all your options and calculate the points you will have when you graduate and take logical decision.

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
I would definitely urge to go for a masters degree preferably an MBA. If you do a Masters you get 7 more points, which you will not get if you do post grad certificate(as you already have bachelors)and subtracting the points of your age i.e at 30 you will lose 5 points. You still send up with +2 points, which will not be possible if you take post grade certificate.

Its not that hard to get into a masters from a public uni, the only drawback is that its costly. You should meet some agent who will guide you so as in which university you should apply. They would have dealt with a person who have similar profile as you and got in a Masters program. Lastly, don't be anxious, just stay calm and take pen and paper, write down all your options and calculate the points you will have when you graduate and take logical decision.
Hi! Thank you for replying. When you put it like that it does sound better to go for a masters or MBA instead but I'm really concerned about my grades and the cost of it. I suppose when I apply for schools I can apply to Masters/MBAs AND post-grad diplomas and see which ones take me, I'm just gonna have to pay a lot for application fees. Like a Canada immigration agent/consultant? That's a good idea, I'll look up some in my country. Thank you again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Thank you for replying. When you put it like that it does sound better to go for a masters or MBA instead but I'm really concerned about my grades and the cost of it. I suppose when I apply for schools I can apply to Masters/MBAs AND post-grad diplomas and see which ones take me, I'm just gonna have to pay a lot for application fees. Like a Canada immigration agent/consultant? That's a good idea, I'll look up some in my country. Thank you again!
Apply on your own. There is no need to use an immigration agent / consultant. They sometimes make applications worse rather than better and they will often direct applicants to bad schools because they get a kick back from those schools. Apply yourself.

Reactions: wonderbly

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
Apply on your own. There is no need to use an immigration agent / consultant. They sometimes make applications worse rather than better and they will often direct applicants to bad schools because they get a kick back from those schools. Apply yourself.
Ugh that sounds scary. I have heard there a lot of agencies that are just scams but I guess I'm hoping I could find one that's legit. I guess better to apply on my own as other people I know who immigrated to other countries did it on their own. I'm just looking for second opinions on my overall situation and my chances at being able to immigrate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest gaining more IT job experience. IT jobs are in demand in Canada. If you have strong skills you may be able to get a job in Canada or qualify for PNP. The cost of living in high is most areas of Ontario. Disagree that getting into a masters program is easy. Depends on how many other international students apply but your GPA is pretty low so getting into a masters may not be possible.

Reactions: YVR123 and Alamj

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
Would suggest gaining more IT job experience. IT jobs are in demand in Canada. If you have strong skills you may be able to get a job in Canada or qualify for PNP. The cost of living in high is most areas of Ontario. Disagree that getting into a masters program is easy. Depends on how many other international students apply but your GPA is pretty low so getting into a masters may not be possible.
Hi! Thank you for the reply. I'd really like to take the student pathway route and stay in the IT field as I'm having a hard time finding a job in Canada from the Philippines. Are there other provinces in Canada you suggest besides Ontario? I'm open to others. Yeah I don't think getting into a Master's program is easy especially with my grades... :( that's why I'm looking at 2 year Post-Grad Certificates/Diplomas instead, do you think it would be easier to get into these?

MBA or Master's giving me more points aside, I think a post-grad certificate/diploma would be better for my learning style anyway.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Thank you for the reply. I'd really like to take the student pathway route and stay in the IT field as I'm having a hard time finding a job in Canada from the Philippines. Are there other provinces in Canada you suggest besides Ontario? I'm open to others. Yeah I don't think getting into a Master's program is easy especially with my grades... :( that's why I'm looking at 2 year Post-Grad Certificates/Diplomas instead, do you think it would be easier to get into these?

MBA or Master's giving me more points aside, I think a post-grad certificate/diploma would be better for my learning style anyway.
You need to go for a post-graduate diploma. If you go for a diploma, your study permit will most likely be refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, do you mean if I go for a certificate my study permit will be refused?
Since you have a bachelor degree, you should be studying at either the post graduate or Master's level in Canada. If you go for a simple diploma or certificate, then yes, you should expect there is a high chance IRCC will refuse your study permit since the progression of your studies will not make sense.

chocomatcha

Nov 5, 2021
Since you have a bachelor degree, you should be studying at either the post graduate or Master's level in Canada. If you go for a simple diploma or certificate, then yes, you should expect there is a high chance IRCC will refuse your study permit since the progression of your studies will not make sense.
Ah yes I understand that. In my posts I meant I'm planning on going for a post-graduate diploma or post-graduatate certificate as I've seen both of these offered at different schools. I'm making sure they're at least 2 years. These are on the correct level you meant right?

Last edited: