+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would you do?

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
I have my PR since 2008. I applied for citizenship in 2011 and it is still processing.
I had to leave Canada and I was reported in 2014.
I had my appeal hearing in June 2017 and it was in my favor and I kept my status.
I applied for a new 5-year card and I received an invite to collect it
I am outside Canada but intending to return. I left a few weeks after the hearing to be with a terminally-sick family member (and I have hospital reports as proof).
I also have a travel document issued to me after the decision in July 2017 expiring next week.

Should I bother going to collect the PR card? I risk being reported (again) as I still do not meet the required number of days for residency (still a few months short) and I am not planning to stay as I am returning to the sick family member. Are the agents at the border not understanding if I show them the hospital reports?

On the other hand, I need my 5-year card. In case I was asked to come/managed to move back to Canada, I can + I don't have to go through the US land border.

What would you do? what are the chances that I will actually get reported if I show the appeal decision of July 2017 and the hospital reports of the terminally-ill family member (direct family member, not extended relative)?

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will use the PRTD and take the next flight (before expiration). After collection, I return to the family member who needs my care.

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
What about the risk of being reported? do you think it is that low?

Also, I will be questioned by the agent at the border as well as the IRCC office where I am collecting my card and both have the authority to report me (if I understand correctly).

Are the chances that low if I have my documents with me? or is it not worth the risk?

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment and take this as my personal view only but you got a second chance following your successful appeal to retain your PR status and you also successfully applied for a new PR card which supposedly is waiting for you still even after this time.

Would you get another chance or successful appeal having not taken the first opportunity nobody here can predict although the odds would seem low even with a compassionate reason to get a new PRTD or retain status.

With a still valid PRTD will you get reported again no way to predict and no way to predict your chances of getting another PRTD although odds again seem low.

This really is a personal decision you need to make but having a valid PR card would make it easier even though the next time you return you may get reported again no way to predict. Unfortunately this is one of those life decisions that people tend to ignore when they emigrate hoping they are never faced with the same choice.