+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What 'work' category do I follow in?

sripra87

Nov 26, 2014
Hello there

I am on my OPT in the US and am currently employed here. My fiancee is in Canada and he just received his PR. We are planning on getting married in Nov this year in India. Owing to all the status issues, I don't want to sit idol and get a gap in my career. so please suggest me which status of entry to Canada is best for me?? There are different processing times for each category. which one is best for me!!

1. If I marry in Nov and move to Canada on a spouse visa, approx how many months of wait time will be there before I can legally start working in Canada?

2. Am i eligible to apply for spouse PR now if we legally get married in US or do they need only Indian religious marriage evidence for that?

3. Is it advised to apply for a work visa by myself from US so that I need to not wait to start working till I get my PR or my spousal work visa? But what are the chances of me getting a work visa with out having a job in Canada.

Can anyone pls suggest me which is the best way (less wait time/least gap in my career) to move to Canada either before or after marriage.

Thank you

innosense

Feb 13, 2014
Toronto / Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Aug-2014
File Transfer...
IP: 7-Apr-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 30-May-2015
LANDED..........
10-Jun-2015
sripra87 said:
Hello there

I am on my OPT in the US and am currently employed here. My fiancee is in Canada and he just received his PR. We are planning on getting married in Nov this year in India. Owing to all the status issues, I don't want to sit idol and get a gap in my career. so please suggest me which status of entry to Canada is best for me?? There are different processing times for each category. which one is best for me!!

1. If I marry in Nov and move to Canada on a spouse visa, approx how many months of wait time will be there before I can legally start working in Canada?

2. Am i eligible to apply for spouse PR now if we legally get married in US or do they need only Indian religious marriage evidence for that?

3. Is it advised to apply for a work visa by myself from US so that I need to not wait to start working till I get my PR or my spousal work visa? But what are the chances of me getting a work visa with out having a job in Canada.

Can anyone pls suggest me which is the best way (less wait time/least gap in my career) to move to Canada either before or after marriage.

Thank you

1. There is no spouse visa. Only trv . You are better off obtaining one right now when u r in US. It will be very helpful if you want to visit Canada in future. It is challenging to obtain trv being spouse of pr.

2. Once you are married you are eligible to apply for spouse visa. But getting married in the absence of family will raise a red flag. It would raise suspicion that you got married for immigration which is true in a way. You will have to prove your relationship is genuine. You can search the forum for the kind of proofs everyone submits. Even those with children get rejected at times.
I would suggest get married in India in the typical way you normally would assuming your family is in acceptance of your relationship.

3. You require an employment offer to obtain work permit. Can your current employer transfer you to Canada.
They may choose to do an ICT or an LMIA.

There is another category inland sponsorship in which you can remain in Canada throughout the process. They r even issuing open work permits as part of pilot process. But it is an awfully long process.
And only few employers employ you with an owp.

Outland sponsorship is a faster process and you can still remain in Canada in a trv but you will not be eligible for health benefits and you cannot work.
Get married and continue to work in US if career is very important and apply Outland. Your file may get processed in New Delhi or in Ottawa. You have the option of visiting each other frequently.

Good luck !