+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will happen, if my PGWP expires before SINP approval comes?

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello to All!

I'm planning to do an 8 months Post grad certificate course in Business and then apply via SINP student stream, i.e working for 6 months for a SK employer and then apply for SINP approval. However, I'm worried about 1 thing. Most PG certificate courses are 8 months long, means I will get only 8 months Post graduate work permit(PGWP). And to apply via SINP student stream , one needs to do min 6 months a job. And it will take another 2-4 months to get SINP approval. I'M WORRIED THAT 8 MONTHS WORK PERMIT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH, for me to get SINP approval before my PGWP Visa expires. Because, even say I take 1 month to settle and get a job in SK, 6 months job..already 7 months will be over... out of 8 months work permit. Now, is there a way after completion of course to extend my working visa?

What will happen, if my PGWP expires before SINP approval comes? Will I have to come back to my country, and then wait till SINP approval comes and again then go back to SK,Canada?

PLZ HELPPPPP!!!!! :( :'( ???

ethels

Star Member
Sep 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2011
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
17-08-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011 (Processing started on 12-12-2011)
IELTS Request
None
File Transfer...
CPP-O
Med's Request
03-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011 (ECAS updated to Med received on 12/12/2011)
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-2012
LANDED..........
02-2012
You may extend your status as visitor or leave the country until you got your nomination approval.

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
I called SINP office about this same question. You should apply for SINP during the validity of your (8 month) PGWP. When you submit your SINP application, SINP office will provide you a letter to enable you to apply for work permit because your PGWP will expire while they are reviewing your documents. This letter is what you will use when you apply for a work permit at the Vegreville office. The work permit will be a
closed work permit attached to the employer that you are working for during the time that you submitted your SINP application. Take note, they said it is only a letter and not an LMO or letter to apply for an LMO. The letter is sufficient to use to get a closed work permit. That's great isn't it? :)

sharuu

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Buff - Ott
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
July 2012
Passport Req..
December 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013
peachie said:
I called SINP office about this same question. You should apply for SINP during the validity of your (8 month) PGWP. When you submit your SINP application, SINP office will provide you a letter to enable you to apply for work permit because your PGWP will expire while they are reviewing your documents. This letter is what you will use when you apply for a work permit at the Vegreville office. The work permit will be a
closed work permit attached to the employer that you are working for during the time that you submitted your SINP application. Take note, they said it is only a letter and not an LMO or letter to apply for an LMO. The letter is sufficient to use to get a closed work permit. That's great isn't it? :)
Just to clarify on this... they will provide a letter once your SINP is approved. As the topic says what if your PGWP expires before SINP comes through, this is not applicable over here. Once the nomination letter comes they give you a work permit extension letter as well... But, you only get this letter after SINP is approved!

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
mehtab007 said:
Hello to All!

I'm planning to do an 8 months Post grad certificate course in Business and then apply via SINP student stream, i.e working for 6 months for a SK employer and then apply for SINP approval. However, I'm worried about 1 thing. Most PG certificate courses are 8 months long, means I will get only 8 months Post graduate work permit(PGWP). And to apply via SINP student stream , one needs to do min 6 months a job. And it will take another 2-4 months to get SINP approval. I'M WORRIED THAT 8 MONTHS WORK PERMIT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH, for me to get SINP approval before my PGWP Visa expires. Because, even say I take 1 month to settle and get a job in SK, 6 months job..already 7 months will be over... out of 8 months work permit. Now, is there a way after completion of course to extend my working visa?

What will happen, if my PGWP expires before SINP approval comes? Will I have to come back to my country, and then wait till SINP approval comes and again then go back to SK,Canada?

Were you able to get any answer on this?

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
peachie said:
Hi Arif, What did CIC say referring to the other post?
I still haven't had time to contact them. With my work I haven't been able to get time yet. On top of that, my friend called me today and told me that SINP also requires a "Job Approval Form from Employer". I called my lawyer about this and he said I didn't need this.

Will let you know when I hear back from CIC.

biometrix

Oct 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehtab007 said:
Hello to All!

Well, 6months into your course you could get an off campus work permit and then work for 20hours a week in Sk. When you do that, make sure your school knows about it or your employer can provide a reference to that effect. Upon recieving your pgwp, with the one month settling in and job hunting period, by the time your 4months into your pgwp, you can apply for sinp and it would be counted as 6months working in Sk.

vekmak

Jan 18, 2013
ethels said:
You may extend your status as visitor or leave the country until you got your nomination approval.
Same question as an OP and staying as visitor is not an option, as it won`t make you eligible to apply for new open WP

cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.
So, before you have provincial approval you will not receive "a postive eligibility decision" (you are not yet eligible), and when you`l receive it, your miss your PGWP for time about month or so (you are already not illigeble).

So stayng in Canada as a vistior give you nothing itself, you have to live the Canada and wait for standard procession of your PR aplication at home country - it can took years, actually :(

I mailed manitoba PNP about this situation, hope for some good news. May be, provintional nomenee letter in one week or so after apply, this will be very helpfull :)

vekmak

Jan 18, 2013
Actually the answer for MPNP is

The following events may happen to nominated applicants depending on the circumstances:

4. Nominated person may seek temporary work permit.

If you have obtained a job offer from a Manitoba employer after you were nominated by MPNP, the MPNP may issue a support letter for a work permit application. This will allow you to apply for a temporary work permit at the applicable visa office. Note: The employer must be registered with Manitoba’s Employment Standards Branch before you ask the MPNP for a supporting letter.

If you are currently employed in Manitoba on a temporary work permit, you should contact the MPNP two months before the expiry date of that work permit. We may provide you with a supporting letter that will allow you to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada to have your work permit renewed.
immigratemanitoba.com/how-to-immigrate/processing/

In worst case you should stay some in Canada under visitor visa, till new WP will be issued.

In best case MPNP may support you with such letter even before formal nomination and PGWP expire date, so you can continue to work, but it depends.

This can be vital for everyone applying for PR after 8 month programs.

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
peachie said:
Hi Peachie, I know its an old post but taking chance if you see then please reply. I have applied for SINP on May 24, 2013 and received a file number after a week. My PGWP is expiring in first week of August. So my main concern is the expiry of PGWP before i get SINP approval. What should I do in that case? You stated that SINP folks can give us a letter to support the work permit application stating that my application is under process with them. should I ask SINP folks about this now or just before the expiry of my work permit? looking to hear from you or if any experts on this forum can help.

Thanks,
Nav

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Nav,

Somebody I know has also just applied in May, he took his files and went to Regina to submit his application and got a file number on the spot. SINP knew that his work permit is expiring (it's expired now)and advised him to apply for work permit extension on the premise that CIC will reject his application. PGWP is a one time deal only which is why CIC will refuse the application. Now, the decision might take 2 months before the rejection comes, so you will have implied status meaning you can still work. Meantime, you can keep on calling or writing to SINP about your status.

The other option is to ask your employer to apply for a LMO so that you can get a closed work permit. You cannot go home, but it is your responsibility to have legal status in Canada while you wait for SINP decision. If SINP do not give you a decision, after the work permit extension application, you should apply then to be a tourist. I am not sure about this one. Can someone please respond.

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
Hi Peachie, First of all many thanks for the reply. Glad to know that I still have a few options as a backup. I will wait until end of July for SINP and If I dont get it at least I will have the work permit extension application as a last resort.
I will keep you guys posted on how my SINP application goes.

And yes, i will appreciate if anyone can put some light on visitor visa stuff?

Thanks,
Nav

mss#687

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
You can still apply if you have the file number for SINP .Make sure you do paper application. By the time CIC(~3months) gets to your application,if you get the support letter for Work Permit,you will be fine.

navi17 said:
Hi Peachie, First of all many thanks for the reply. Glad to know that I still have a few options as a backup. I will wait until end of July for SINP and If I dont get it at least I will have the work permit extension application as a last resort.
I will keep you guys posted on how my SINP application goes.

And yes, i will appreciate if anyone can put some light on visitor visa stuff?

Thanks,
Nav

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
I found out too that when the PGWP expires, and you apply to get it extended, you will get implied status which allows you to continue working. But when the refusal comes from CIC Vegreville ( work permit extension for PGWP will definitely be refused), you will be out of status, then you have to reapply to restore your status. During this time you can not work while the restoration is being processed. Maybe research more on this, that's all I know.

Yes, if the nomination does come, then you are safe. I spoke to one of the Managers before May 1st changes, and they changed their way of thinking as far as nominating someone earlier just because the work permit is expiring. They didn't seem to care anymore because he said it is the student's responsibility to have legal status and to not put the obligation on SINP to give them their nomination. Now we know what transpired after that, they closed applications for out of town students and have allocated the certificates to SK students only; although students who have gotten a file number before May 1st are included in the inventory.

Students like me and others that have arrived in SK early to do the work experience time and got settled here lost our early nomination to students who have arrived much, much later in SK and whose permits are expiring earlier than ours. Not to blame anyone, it seems SINP now have better efficiency and control of the situation.