+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will happen during the summer break?

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
In a normal year those who started in the fall and are studying for multiple years can work full-time in the summer months (in my case April to September), something I see as a big opportunity to get an internship/volunteer experience somewhere or just to travel and see the country.

I'm extremely fortunate (I realize a lot of people are not, and I respect and understand that. Which is why I won't look for a job which people need to pay their bills, that includes for Canadian citizens), to be in a position where my student financing from my home government and savings allow me to finance my whole studies without working (even in summer) so it would be optional. My home city is 30% more expensive than where I live in Canada.

However if my study permit is delayed until April, and I would be entering in a long scheduled break, can I even enter the country that year or will I just have to wait until August/September? I also have friends that I made during my earlier exchange year, that I would like to see.

I'm a transfer student who will only do 2 years so it would feel like a big gap in getting local Canadian experience, even with a 3 year PGWP.

I don't mind spending the whole of spring in Europe as well, but not looking forward to doing the same over the summer months (I'm already in limbo for 8 months since I came back from Canada)

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can't work in Canada before starting your program, so if your first semester is in August/September you can't show up in April and get a job.

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
No i've started in the fall on an AIP, just that my stage 2 study permit (which I applied for in April) still has not arrived