Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have applied for the OHIP, however the card would arrive only in Sep first week (as communicated by rep there). Do I need to search for a family Dr.? Can you please enlighten this one as I am totally new here.
You will need to start searching but they probably won't actually touch you until you get OHIP covered. You *may* be able to find one who will take you on as a private patient but don't be surprised if you don't have any luck.

Reactions: @trigger

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I have applied for the OHIP, however the card would arrive only in Sep first week (as communicated by rep there). Do I need to search for a family Dr.? Can you please enlighten this one as I am totally new here.
You want to start searching for a family Dr ONCE you get a OHIP card. That is how Doctors get paid, no OHIP card, no payment from the ministry. You can look around, but as mentioned, they want that card. Every time you go into your Dr office they will swipe that card, every time you go into a walk in clinic, ANYTIME you have contact with a office providing medical care, they want to see that card. If you do not have the card, then you pay. If you want to continually just go into a walk in clinic forever, then No, you won't need a family Dr, but for continuity of care I would recommend trying to find one
And just keep in mind, not all family Dr's are accepting new patients, some are totally full. So you gotta do your leg work in trying to find one. Once you get your OHIP card, you can go to the Ministry's website and there is a site there that you can put in your information to try to find you a family Dr. .
I am not saying all walk in clinics are all bad, there are actually a few great ones in Toronto when I cannot see my family Dr fast. But you build a relationship with your family Dr, they will get to know your history.

Last edited:
Reactions: @trigger

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You want to start searching for a family Dr ONCE you get a OHIP card. That is how Doctors get paid, no OHIP card, no payment from the ministry. You can look around, but as mentioned, they want that card. Every time you go into your Dr office they will swipe that card, every time you go into a walk in clinic, ANYTIME you have contact with a office providing medical care, they want to see that card. If you do not have the card, then you pay. If you want to continually just go into a walk in clinic forever, then No, you won't need a family Dr, but for continuity of care I would recommend trying to find one
And just keep in mind, not all family Dr's are accepting new patients, some are totally full. So you gotta do your leg work in trying to find one. Once you get your OHIP card, you can go to the Ministry's website and there is a site there that you can put in your information to try to find you a family Dr. .
I am not saying all walk in clinics are all bad, there are actually a few great ones in Toronto when I cannot see my family Dr fast. But you build a relationship with your family Dr, they will get to know your history.
One thing that we were warned about. If you are registered with a family doctor, be careful about going to a walk-in clinic.
Some doctors will remove you from their patient list, as they are losing money.
Obviously an emergency situation is not an issue but just going for "convenience" can cause problems.