+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What To Do If You Haven't Spent 2 Years in Canada After Receiving PR

bpwkaufman

Nov 23, 2020
Hello,
I am Canadian and living in Australia with my Australian wife who has a spouse permanent residency for Canada. Her PR card expires in July 2023. I am finishing training in Australia and we will be moving to Canada later than expected, however this may mean that she won't have spent the required 730 days in Canada before it expires. International travel restrictions due to Covid have made it more difficult as well.

Does anyone know if there is any way to get an extension on the five year period or any other way to appeal or help the situation?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Brendan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am Canadian and living in Australia with my Australian wife who has a spouse permanent residency for Canada. Her PR card expires in July 2023. I am finishing training in Australia and we will be moving to Canada later than expected, however this may mean that she won't have spent the required 730 days in Canada before it expires. International travel restrictions due to Covid have made it more difficult as well.

Does anyone know if there is any way to get an extension on the five year period or any other way to appeal or help the situation?

Brendan
Because she is living with you outside of Canada, this time counts towards the 730 days. When you are ready to return she will simply apply for a PR Travel Document.

Reactions: Buletruck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe anyway read up the PRTD requirements although between now and July 2023 who knows what anything may look like by then. Cannot apply to renew a PR card from outside of Canada but as above shouldnt be any issue with a PRTD on basis of accompanying a citizen abroad for travel back if that is after the card has expired. Only other advice would be to develop a file showing your spouse was with you so you have that should the need arise.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hello,

Brendan
Did you leave Canada right away after your wife's landing?