+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What To Do/ Can You Do After 2 TRV Application Refusals?

CANEPAL2

Feb 17, 2012
My fiance and I are seeking advice on what to do after you have received two TRV Application refusals?
A brief summary of our case:
I am a Canadian Citizen (born and raised), he is Nepali. We met in 2007 in a third country, both of us are International Professionals and have worked in several countries. I am an Engineer and a retired Captain from the Canadian Forces (Air) he is a Professional Chartered Accountant (ACCA). Currently I have returned back to Canada and taken a full time senior position job as an International Manager for a charity. He is working full time as the Finance Manager for a Multinational company in Malaysia. I have been the one visiting him over the last year as he has a more strict and demanding work schedule.
For Christmas 2011 we applied for the first TRV for him to come to Canada for three weeks during the holidays to spend time with family. We had also hoped to set a wedding date with my family (but this was not written in our application). I wrote a sponsorship letter for him with proof of citizenship and we declared our relationship openly/honestly. We also provided bank statements, a letter from his employer, proof of residency and return flights. His application was denied for 2 reasons identified - intent and finances.
The 2nd Visa Application was submitted in the first week of February 2012 as his next possible vacation period is this upcoming March. This time my father wrote a letter of sponsorship with proof of citizenship, included were aso copies of my fiance's professional ACCA accreditation and additional bank statements showing more money along with the original application paperwork (Letter of Employment, Residency, Application, rtn flights). Again we were denied for two reasons. This time the Finance had been removed but Intent remained as well as Travel History (which was not included the last time).
In the past ten years his travel history includes - India, Maldives, Dubai, Singapore, Nepal and Malaysia - all of which he entered and exited legally for work or vacation. He has no family in Canada either.
At this stage we do not know what to do. As my fiance has a high ranking job with a large company he is not able to just quite his job, and he has every intent to return to his job. We have been working as International Professionals for reputable companies and organisations including the UN and Red Cross and as professionals are in the process of evaluating where we want to settle. We never dreamed that visiting Canada prove to be so difficult.
We are wondering if a third TRV Application is worth it? What are the chances of approval? What additional paperwork could be used? How do you further improve intent outside of Reputable Employment, Residency, Professional Accreditation, Return Travel, Sponsorship Letter? I had hoped to plan a wedding in Canada for later this year but now it looks like that won't be possible. Any advice on what steps we should look at next would be greatly appreciated.
Please help,
CANNEPAL

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can always try applying again. Unfortunately spouses and fiances of Canadians are often refused TRVs because CIC believes they have plans to remain here long term. So there's certainly a very good chance he'll be refused again.

If you are serious about this relationship, then your only real option may be to get married in his home country (or a third country you can both enter) and then sponsor him for PR as your spouse.

Good luck.

CANEPAL2

Feb 17, 2012
Thanks Scylla, marriage is ultimately what we are planning and certainly we will go through the PR process when the time comes. That said we recognize that the lengthy PR process for Spouses could take up to two years living apart in the early years of our marriage which I don't believe either of us are willing to do.
It is highly disappointing that in all likelihood I will not be able to marry in my own country, a country I served in uniform. Which means my family will not be present and that is for me (a small town girl from the Maritimes) difficult to accept. It also appears that our current legislation does not reflect or respond to the needs of its society or the governments own objectives. I take issue with two things:
1. I have learned that if I was an Immigrant with PR attained through a Provincial Nomination programme I could apply for an Open Work Permit for my spouse to find work and join with me in Canada but as a fully employed Canadian Citizen I am not entitled to the same benefit. In the later case my spouse requires to obtain a job offer (which is near impossible from overseas or without connections) to attain a Work Permit. This to me is a double standard and unjust. Why are new Immigrants entitled to greater benefits (i.e. an Open Work Permit) than that of a Countries own citizens?
2. The second is that there appears to be a paradox in Immigration's own strategic objectives. On one hand the Government and almost all Provinces have detailed Economic Development Plans that clearly outline Immigration as critical to the growth and prosperity of our Nation/Regions yet they deny entry of Highly Skilled Workers (targeted for immigration) into the Country on grounds that they are engaged or married to a Canadian. One would think that marrying a Canadian is a preferred method of immigration as it encourages a higher level of integration and puts less pressure on government services. Is is just me or is this not a clear case of contradiction serving I am not sure what purpose.
To note I am not looking for answers to my points above but as this is a forum I thought I would share my own observations and hope that it might bring comfort to others knowing they are not alone.

I would however very much appreciate any advice on what additional paperwork we might be able to submit to increase our chances of a successful TRV application - we are not ready to give up hope yet. Oh and has anyone else been here? How many times has someone applied and been refused but then got a TRV issued? And would it make a difference if we applied through a different Country for the TRV?

Thanks again :)

humble01

Jan 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
as syclla has mentioned, PR is your best option. its very hard to issue a visitor visa to spouses of canadian citizens because there are probability that you might be applying for PR inland. you can as well visit him in the main time and plan towards PR later in the future

CANEPAL2

Feb 17, 2012
Well I just wanted to post an update for those that are doing research. Further from my last post my now husband and I got married in Malaysia and are in the process of applying for his PR. Marrying out of country to a man my family has never met was not ideal and as one can imagine created a lot of stress for everyone. But we did it. From the internet we are told that the PR looks to take at least 8 months from application and I will have to remain working in Canada during this time to be his sponsor. I don't know how we are going to make it another 8 months apart.

We did try a third time after our wedding for a TRV with hopes he would be able to come to Canada for a wedding celebration and then return to his work until the PR came through. We were completely honest in our application provided all the supporting documentation but again we were refused.
So for those of you out there in similar situations I wish you the best of luck but don't for a minute believe that you have ANY hope of a TRV if you are in the slightest way involved with a Canadian.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
First off, congraulations and much happiness for your future. It was most thoughtful of you to post your update as I am sure it will be of use to many people. Truly sad to think that your husband, anybody's spouse, is unable to come for a legitimate visit while PR is ongoing. I hope the rest of your process goes smoothly and your family will soon be able to welcome their newest member. Good Luck!

cinc

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
24-04-2013
Med's Request
03-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
Your post crushed me and really hit home. My fiance received a single entry TRV last summer as my friend (I'm kicking myself for not applying for the multiple entry). We applied 16 days ago for a multiple entry TRV hoping to get married in December (saying we were engaged). I knew it would be a challenge and completely related to what you wrote about wanting to get married in your own country. I absolutely do not want to get married where we live now because my friends and family won't be present and I can't imagine it. Both he and I plan on and want to come back to where we live and don't have plans to move to Canada for a long while. It's the most frustrating situation of my life. We are hard working, honest people, but can't get married where we want.

I do have a question about the PR application. Do I have to live in Canada when we take that step (years away)? Or can I make it from where we are both living abroad?

Thanks for sharing. It's Hard to read but nice to know that I'm not alone.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Cinc: Consider yourselves very lucky that you were granted the single entry visa last year, as there is no guarantee that they would have given your fiance a multi last year had you asked for it. If you have no plans to live in Canada and are denied the entry visa for your wedding, then why not have a registry wedding now and have a wedding celebration when you can get to Canada. Many Canadians seem to be planning destination weddings these days, so is it possible that your nearest and dearest could come to YOU for the first wedding?

cinc

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
24-04-2013
Med's Request
03-06-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
Pippin: Thanks for your response. I posted recently and would really appreciate your feedback to my questions if you get a chance.

You're totally right about the single entry visa. We were very lucky and so grateful. I'm hoping we'll have luck on our side again. I'm worried that now that we've expressed desire/intent to marry that we won't stand a chance to ever get a TRV in the future if this one is denied.

What do married couples do when one of them is Canadian and the other is not and they have no intent on ever living in Canada (we plan to some day, but really don't know where the future will take us), but would like to visit? If he had received a multiple entry before and then we decided to get married, would we have to "report" that to somewhere even though he would have already had a Visa?

Unfortunately a destination wedding isn't an option for my nearest and dearest, and it's not really something I'm interested in.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not an authority on any of this, but from what I am reading, it seems that it doesn't matter if you are married or dating a Canadian, the non-Canadian has to convince the VO that they have strong ties to their home country and will leave before the visa expires. Telling them that you have no intention to move to Canada means very little, I would think.

Coldstream63

Star Member
Sep 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2014
AOR Received.
Sponsor 07-03-2015, Applicant 30-03-2015
File Transfer...
13-04-2015
Med's Done....
Received 30-12-2014
Interview........
Not Required
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2015
LANDED..........
Flight booked for 11-11-2015
CANEPAL - Can you tell me the details how you arranged a marriage in Malaysia? I am engaged to an Indonesian citizen who works in Singapore. Due to our different religions, we can't wed in her country, and it depressingly seems that getting her here to marry is a pipe dream due to the difficulties encountered by honest folks with good intentions trying to visit our country.

Thanks kindly, in advance.