+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I select for highest level of education?

lj.lee

Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

I have a diploma in computer science and It's 2 years diploma program in college..
I've been reading the instructions and googling to find the answer but still unsure which one I should enter between Non-university certificate or Post-Secondary (No Degree)

Non-university Certificate/Diploma: Training in a profession that requires formal education but not at the university level (for example, dental technician or engineering technician).
or
Post-Secondary (No Degree): Post-secondary studies at a college or university but no degree earned.

Thank you so much!

mrpannu100

Feb 22, 2015
Hi
I think you should google for "CRS Tool"
Then open link of cic website.(I tried to post link but that is not allowed)
Under 4th question about Highest Education you should select :
Two Year Program at uni. , college, trade school etc.
I you have earned that diploma from outside of Canada, make sure that you get ECA for that before applying.
Thanks

lj.lee

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for your response ;)
but I totally forgot to mention this..I'm filling in IMM0008 which has only 7 options.
- None
- Secondary or less
- Trade / Apprenticeship certificate / Diploma
- Non-university certificate / Diploma
- Post-secondary – No degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Post Graduate – No degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctorate – PhD

I didn't have any issue to use CRS tool since it has more specific options..
I think I should select post-secondary - no degree, but not sure..
Thank you so much again, and if you know what I should select, please advise me!

OhWow

Oct 17, 2015
lj.lee said:
Thank you so much again, and if you know what I should select, please advise me!
It's tough, because you are right in the middle of it... you have a post-secondary education, BUT you also have a "diploma", while this one says "no degree". There is no in-between as an option, but I think, you would be better off with "Non-university certificate / Diploma", because in Canada COLLEGE comes BEFORE UNIVERSITY and obviously you have a degree. If you went to university, you might have a Bachelor's Degree at minimum.

You choose this one, but definitely explain your studies further in a letter of explanation, saying you obtained this or that diploma which is equivalent to this or that in Canada. I always explained my education in the letter of explanation, because I studied in a three level program, which ended with a Bachelor Degree, but also required a Diploma (similar to associate's degree) before that and a certficate, which I entered separately and not just as one "bachelor program", which would have taken too many years and not made sense since there was more than a year of a break before I could start with the bachelor program.

chiujiewei95

Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for your response ;)
but I totally forgot to mention this..I'm filling in IMM0008 which has only 7 options.
- None
- Secondary or less
- Trade / Apprenticeship certificate / Diploma
- Non-university certificate / Diploma
- Post-secondary – No degree
- Bachelor’s degree
- Post Graduate – No degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctorate – PhD

I didn't have any issue to use CRS tool since it has more specific options..
Hey lj, I know this is quite an old post, but Im just wondering which one you selected in the end for the education? I'm also trying to fil IMM0008 but im not sure which to select for my highest level of education, I did the same, 2 year diploma in International transportation at a college. Would be appreciated if you can let me know!
Thanks,
Jay

Reactions: mohak1990

mohak1990

Aug 6, 2019
Hey lj, I know this is quite an old post, but Im just wondering which one you selected in the end for the education? I'm also trying to fil IMM0008 but im not sure which to select for my highest level of education, I did the same, 2 year diploma in International transportation at a college. Would be appreciated if you can let me know!
Thanks,
Jay
What did you select?