+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I enter in NOC? NOC for my Canadian job or NOC for my job from my home country?

JohnWick07

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
Hi Everyone

I am filling my Express Entry application, under Occupation it is asking me "Primary occupation (4 digit NOC Code) (required)" - I just started a job in Canada under NOC 4163 after completing my degree, however, I have 3 years of experience prior to coming to Canada in medicine field, NOC 3113.

So for this section, shall I put NOC code 4163 where I just have few months of experience or put 3113 where I have 3 years of experience? Will this have any impact on my CEC if I pick one versus the other? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
If you check the minimum entry requirements for FSW or CEC, it requires one to have AT LEAST one year of work experience.

primary NOC selection is critical if you aim for PNP.

if you want to claim points for your Canadian work experience, go under CEC and use it as your primary NOC, then wait for a year of Canadian work experience to complete then submit your profile. But if your foreign work and Canadian degree is enough to get an ITA and you have PoF, go ahead and submit an EE profile now and be under FSW.

JohnWick07

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
If you check the minimum entry requirements for FSW or CEC, it requires one to have AT LEAST one year of work experience.

primary NOC selection is critical if you aim for PNP.

if you want to claim points for your Canadian work experience, go under CEC and use it as your primary NOC, then wait for a year of Canadian work experience to complete then submit your profile. But if your foreign work and Canadian degree is enough to get an ITA and you have PoF, go ahead and submit an EE profile now and be under FSW.
Yes, I want to apply under CEC and get points for 1 year Canadian work experience.. My current NOC for foreign work 3113 doesn't get me enough points for an ITA. I have 6 months experience in Canada so far under 4163. Shall I change my primary NOC to 4163 then? In another 6 months, I will complete my 1 year Canadian experience... Or it does not matter if primary NOC is still 3113 vs Canadian experience NOC 4163 for CEC..

Last edited:

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Yes, I want to apply under CEC and get points for 1 year Canadian work experience.. My current NOC for foreign work 3113 doesn't get me enough points for an ITA. I have 6 months experience in Canada so far under 4163. Shall I change my primary NOC to 4163 then? In another 6 months, I will complete my 1 year Canadian experience... Or it does not matter if primary NOC is still 3113 vs Canadian experience NOC 4163 for CEC..
Am not entirely sure but your primary NOC should have at least one year experience so using 4163 as primary NOC now may render your EE profile ineligible. You can create your EE profile now with 3113 then add 4163 once you reach 1 year of Canadian work experience.