+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what should a software developer pick in the work/activity section?

adithya_sama

Jul 16, 2022
I am applying for a visitor visa and I have reached the education and work page. Am not sure what to select in the work/activity section. I am a software developer, I work for a product-based company which develops a cyber security product.

I have one more question, regarding the work section. what should I give in the address part of the work details? the HQ address or the address of the office branch I work in. what should I give if the branch is closed, as everybody is working from home.

ryvinson

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
I am applying for a visitor visa and I have reached the education and work page. Am not sure what to select in the work/activity section. I am a software developer, I work for a product-based company which develops a cyber security product.

I have one more question, regarding the work section. what should I give in the address part of the work details? the HQ address or the address of the office branch I work in. what should I give if the branch is closed, as everybody is working from home.
1. An IT related role closest to your current work
2. Office address. You will be contacted via email

adithya_sama

Jul 16, 2022
1. None of the ones given in the list describe anything close to what I do
  1. Art, culture, recreation and sport occupations
  2. Business, finance and administration occupations
  3. Education, law and social, community and government services occupations
  4. Government Position
  5. Health occupations
  6. Homemaker
  7. Incarcerated
  8. Management occupations
  9. Manufacturing and utilities occupations
  10. Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
  11. Natural resources, agriculture and related production occupations
  12. Retired
  13. Sales and service occupations
  14. Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
  15. Unemployed
my profession doesn't fall under any of the above. i work at a private cyber security company. i am a software developer.
So, can you please help me select the correct one?

2. My company rents shared workspaces for offices, and since covid we have stopped renting them. so what addres should i be giving.

gisselletdean

Mar 6, 2023
I understand that the thread is two years old, but the information I provided still holds true. When completing your visitor visa application, it's essential to provide an accurate representation of your work as a software developer. In the work/activity section, you can mention that you were working for a product-based company specializing in cybersecurity at the time of the application. This description should help clarify your professional background to the visa authorities.
If you're looking for more information or assistance with your visa application, you can check out resources like https://www.devoutsourcing.com/. They might have some useful insights and tips to help you navigate the application process effectively.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand that the thread is two years old, but the information I provided still holds true. When completing your visitor visa application, it's essential to provide an accurate representation of your work as a software developer. In the work/activity section, you can mention that you were working for a product-based company specializing in cybersecurity at the time of the application. This description should help clarify your professional background to the visa authorities.
Market for software developers has gotten worse seen your last posts. Layoffs continue in the tech sector s employment may be very tough to find.

Reactions: gisselletdean

MarenPeters

Apr 6, 2024
Honestly, "Business, finance and administration" just feels too broad, right? It doesn't capture the specific skills you bring to the table.

MarenPeters

Apr 6, 2024
Honestly, "Business, finance and administration" just feels too broad, right? It doesn't capture the specific skills you bring to the table.
Thinking out loud here, maybe something like "Information technology and computer occupations" could be a better fit? It at least steers them in the right direction. But ideally, we want to showcase our developer superpowers!

Perhaps if your experience leans towards project management or using tools like monday.com consultants, you could mention "Professional, scientific and technical services." That category seems to have more flexibility.