+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What responsibility does the Inviter have for the person they invite to Canada?

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
Hi everyone

I need to decide whether or not to support my friend who wants to visit Canada - he has a previous history of not respecting Visas in other countries. He promises he will respect this visa and leave Canada on the correct date. He wants to change his ways and has asked for my help.

I want to know if the person who writes the Invitation letter (me, the Canadian) has some responsibility for the Tourist to Canada. For example, if the Tourist doesn't leave before his visa expires, does the Inviter get in trouble with Immigration?

I don't see any indication of this on the CIC website. I have read about the responsibilities for a sponsorship for Permanent Residence, but haven't seen anything about the Tourist Visa.

Thanks in advance for your help!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
campesinaj said:
Hi everyone

I need to decide whether or not to support my friend who wants to visit Canada - he has a previous history of not respecting Visas in other countries. He promises he will respect this visa and leave Canada on the correct date. He wants to change his ways and has asked for my help.

I want to know if the person who writes the Invitation letter (me, the Canadian) has some responsibility for the Tourist to Canada. For example, if the Tourist doesn't leave before his visa expires, does the Inviter get in trouble with Immigration?

I don't see any indication of this on the CIC website. I have read about the responsibilities for a sponsorship for Permanent Residence, but haven't seen anything about the Tourist Visa.

Thanks in advance for your help!
If the invitation you give is in the form of an undertaking (notarized), then you are responsible for whatever you had set forth in that undertaking. I don't see any reason why you'd get in trouble since whoever you're inviting to Canada has a mind of his own. But if he has had records of not respecting his previous visas then he might have trouble getting one for Canada.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
I wouldn't trust someone who broke his words before.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi there,

Here's a very thorough sample invitation letter:
http://www.lawpoint.ca/index.php/Sample-letter-of-invitation.html

Although you don't need to write such a formal and long letter (I have friends who got approved with much simpler invitation letters), please note the paragraphs where the person signing makes his pledge: "...pay for all expenses incurred in connection with Julie’s visit to Canada and I pledge to be legally responsible for her."

In the case of a friend, since you are not the one covering their visit expenses, the financial obligations imply things like accidents or medical emergencies. If they overstay their visa, you will have to respond to Canadian authorities at some point.

Conclusion: Be careful on who you sponsor!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
shakira2009 said:
Hi there,

Here's a very thorough sample invitation letter:
http://www.lawpoint.ca/index.php/Sample-letter-of-invitation.html

Although you don't need to write such a formal and long letter (I have friends who got approved with much simpler invitation letters), please note the paragraphs where the person signing makes his pledge: "...pay for all expenses incurred in connection with Julie's visit to Canada and I pledge to be legally responsible for her."

In the case of a friend, since you are not the one covering their visit expenses, the financial obligations imply things like accidents or medical emergencies. If they overstay their visa, you will have to respond to Canadian authorities at some point.

Conclusion: Be careful on who you sponsor!!!
As to being legally responsible for all expenses incurred by the invitee, the OP may or may not make the pledge. But whatever is put in the undertaking or oath, s/he will surely be responsible or held liable.