+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What questions are typically asked by CBSA to visitors arriving in Canada?

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
Hi. For those who have travelled to Canada with Visitor Visa, can you please share your experience as to the questions typically being asked at the port of entry?

Mom is travelling and she's retired and speaks native language, uncomfortable with English, so it will be great to know in order to brief her and prepare her for travel. Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. For those who have travelled to Canada with Visitor Visa, can you please share your experience as to the questions typically being asked at the port of entry?

Mom is travelling and she's retired and speaks native language, uncomfortable with English, so it will be great to know in order to brief her and prepare her for travel. Thanks in advance.
Questions like:

1) Do you have a return ticket?
2) When is she leaving Canada?

Kanata2023

Apr 22, 2022
questions asked for my very first trip in Canada
- do you have a job in your country?
- do you Know someone in Canada?
- what are you going to do in Canada?
then really no questions I can remember for my next trips

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Are you bring any plants or meats?
Do you have more than $10,000 can or equivalent in currencies, bond, gold or negotiable items?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
On the flip side I’m a Canadian citizen and I was once asked how long I was planning on staying and how I was going to travel to my sisters ?
I called over a supervisor.
I used to work for the Government, I know the deal

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
Thank you all for your response. Just a follow up question, did the officer ask your return ticket?

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
For me, I showed up to do my PR landing with my fiancée.
-Who is this? How did you meet? What language is your relationship? Why is she staying here so long? Are you attempting to sponsor her? When did you meet? Have you been living together? What is her job?
Had to show a return ticket and a bank account filled with money.

Kanata2023

Apr 22, 2022
They didn’t directly ask for my return ticket. I was a tourist and said I have a job in my country I must go back to.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Thank you all for your response. Just a follow up question, did the officer ask your return ticket?
On more than one occasion, the wife was denied boarding overseas without a return ticket before she became a PR. CBSA may not ask, but only because the airlines do it for them before they let you board.

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
Hi, thank you all for your reply. Mom has one way ticket for now as we don't wanna go through the hassle of changing flights. But based on others' experience, I certainly will purchase a separate return ticket for her. Thanks a lot for everybody's input.

chelsea

Sep 19, 2011
On more than one occasion, the wife was denied boarding overseas without a return ticket before she became a PR. CBSA may not ask, but only because the airlines do it for them before they let you board.
Couldn't she just buy return ticket when asked and could still board?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
That’s what we had to do. Buy a return ticket at the airport prior to boarding. It’s a PITA and draws additional scrutiny from airline staff.