+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What other proofs of English Language Proficiency can be used,besides IELTS?

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What other proofs of English Language Proficiency is accepted, besides IELTS results?

For people who have actually sent different documents to prove this, please do share your experiences.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because I have a letter with notes made by my interviewer from a previous application, which stated that I have intermediate French proficiency, and high English proficiency.

Inputs about this will be appreciated.

cherrie

Mar 3, 2010
poissonmagique said:
What other proofs of English Language Proficiency is accepted, besides IELTS results?

For people who have actually sent different documents to prove this, please do share your experiences.
A letter from an institution for eg, university. stating you course was taught in English. but if you have stated that your first language isnt english, and you are from non English speaking country then you might need to submit an IELTS result. I am in London, and got my university to write a letter for me. But then again i have stated English as my first language so..... it really does depend. U might have to take the exam for assurance really. :)

Cherrie

Cherrie

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cherrie said:
A letter from an institution for eg, university. stating you course was taught in English. but if you have stated that your first language isnt english, and you are from non English speaking country then you might need to submit an IELTS result. I am in London, and got my university to write a letter for me. But then again i have stated English as my first language so..... it really does depend. U might have to take the exam for assurance really. :)

Cherrie

Cherrie
May I ask if you are a British citizen?

In my application form, I will put English as my first language, and my country states English as one of its official languages. So can I use the document I have to proof proficiency?

cherrie

Mar 3, 2010
poissonmagique said:
May I ask if you are a British citizen?

In my application form, I will put English as my first language, and my country states English as one of its official languages. So can I use the document I have to proof proficiency?
Nope i am not british, but i grew up speaking English (it was what both parents used in communicating with me) and currently learning to fully understand and speak my mother tongue, so yes in my opinion english is my first language.

NB: oh yeah and English is my country's official language.

Cherrie

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cherrie said:
Nope i am not british, but i grew up speaking English (it was what both parents used in communicating with me) and currently learning to fully understand and speak my mother tongue, so yes in my opinion english is my first language.

NB: oh yeah and English is my country's official language.

Cherrie
What specific documents did you send to the visa office to show your English proficiency?

I am confused with your answer. What is your mother tongue, and may I ask what is your current citizenship?

And lastly, just to confirm, you DID NOT take the IELTS test, so you DID NOT submit any IELTS results as part of your application, and your application was approved?

cherrie

Mar 3, 2010
poissonmagique said:
What specific documents did you send to the visa office to show your English proficiency?

I am confused with your answer. What is your mother tongue, and may I ask what is your current citizenship?

And lastly, just to confirm, you DID NOT take the IELTS test, so you DID NOT submit any IELTS results as part of your application, and your application was approved?
We have used a letter from the university, stating the course was taught in English and of course submitted certificates of degree done both here in England and in Nigeria.

My nationality is Nigerian

Mother tongue, Ibo.

So we did not take the test OR submit any result and our application was approved. currently waiting for PPR.
Hope this helps. If in Doubt,I would strongly recommend you to take the test.

Check this out as well,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp#documentation

Cherrie

M+JM

Star Member
Apr 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All our education/work documents being in French (native) or English, we just wrote a letter detailing our studies in France and UK then our work in the UK for the last 4 years. Do you have official documents, degrees, work contracts etc in French or English? This may not be anough, I don't know.
French as 1st is OK for us (born and lived in France for over 20 years, uni degrees etc which we sent), as for English we did consider a test, but looking at the points for the second language it was something like: (not 100% sure)
High proficiency: 2 2 2 2
Basic profiency: 2 2 2 2
Good: 1 1 1 1

I do remember that there was no point difference for the top and middle "scores", so we thought our evidence of studying and working in the UK for 5 years would be enough to get at the very least 1 1 1 1- we still wrote that letter to explain that. Of course this is for the second language. For a first language as there are so many points involved and it's a key requirement I would say go for safer, do the tests unless you have a strong case you can explain to them with supporting evidence in English.

mirza897

Apr 4, 2010
Since you have a letter statiting you are fluent in English; I suggest just take the IELTS. If you are fluent in English, then getting the 7 or 8 band shouldnt be a problem at all. just do it and play safe.

poissonmagique

Star Member
May 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cherrie said:
We have used a letter from the university, stating the course was taught in English and of course submitted certificates of degree done both here in England and in Nigeria.

My nationality is Nigerian

Mother tongue, Ibo.

So we did not take the test OR submit any result and our application was approved. currently waiting for PPR.
Hope this helps. If in Doubt,I would strongly recommend you to take the test.

Check this out as well,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp#documentation

Cherrie
From whom in the university did you get the letter from, and who signed it? Please tell me, so I can go to my university and get the same thing.

Please also tell what are the exact wordings in the letter?