+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What might happen if I cannot get ECA for BSc (having a MSc)in time?

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Received my ITA on Jan 13, and just realized I need to get ECA for my BSc from China even though I have a MSc degree in Canada...

The verification institute in China (ECA requires degrees from China to be verified first then assessed) is on winter break from Jan 6 to Feb 29 and my ITA expires on March 13, so there is no way that I get my ECA in time...

My plan is to submit my degree and transcript for now. Does anyone know if this might get us rejected or if I put this situation in the explanation letter they might consider to wait for the ECA?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are you trying to get your Bachelors degree assessed when you have a Canadian Masters degree? Proceed with application submission. You only get points for your highest educational credential - Canadian Masters in your case. And if you're worried about that '2 or more...' terminology in Skills Transferability, remember that Masters degree ranks higher than '2 or more...' option. Submit your application without delay.

All the best!

ajnoel

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Nomination.....
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
20-10-2015
Med's Done....
1-7-2015
Passport Req..
28-1-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-2-2016
LANDED..........
28-2-2016
Who told you that you need to get ECA assessment done even though you a MSc from Canada? I did my Masters in Management and did not require ECA for the bachelors degree from my home country.

"42. Do I need to get an Education Credential Assessment (ECA)?

An ECA is required for candidates in the Express Entry pool who wish to be considered for rounds of invitations related to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, unless they were educated in Canada.

For candidates who are hoping to apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program or Canadian Experience Class, an ECA is optional but may increase the points they receive on the CRS and improve their chances of being invited to apply."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#42

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for the quick response! ;)

Under the ECA section, cic says:

You will need to get an ECA for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if:

you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Express Entry, and
you are a principal applicant, and
you got your education outside Canada, or
you want to receive Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for your foreign education
for yourself as an Express Entry candidate, or
for your spouse or common-law partner coming with you to Canada.

I have 50 points under CRS which is "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer", only my BSc is over three years, so my understanding is that my BSc degree needs to be assessed?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Explained the same in my earlier post. Having a Canadian Masters degree entitles you to those 50 points without needing ECA for Bachelors degree as it presumes the existence of your Bachelors. Same is the case if you had a PhD. You wouldn't still need to evaluate Bachelors and/or Masters.

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Explained the same in my earlier post. Having a Canadian Masters degree entitles you to those 50 points without needing ECA for Bachelors degree as it presumes the existence of your Bachelors. Same is the case if you had a PhD. You wouldn't still need to evaluate Bachelors and/or Masters.
I am actually in the middle of my PhD study! :D

Did cic ask you for ECA for you Bachelor degree?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
juliarhw said:
I am actually in the middle of my PhD study! :D

Did cic ask you for ECA for you Bachelor degree?
Nope. As I said, having an ECA for Bachelors degree is optional (and redundant) if you have a Canadian Masters degree. Without further ado, submit your application asap as there are some worrying signs of processing delays on the horizon.

All the best!

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Nope. As I said, having an ECA for Bachelors degree is optional (and redundant) if you have a Canadian Masters degree. Without further ado, submit your application asap as there are some worrying signs of processing delays on the horizon.

All the best!
We are still waiting for tons of other docs, police check, employment record... We didn't think the draw would come down to us so soon :eek: :eek:

As the Chinese New Year is approaching, many of the institute in China are going very slowly... We can only hope for the best.

Thank you so much!!!!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you've a high enough CRS, you may consider declining this ITA and awaiting another ITA in late Feb or early March of your documents aren't likely to be in place by end Feb/early March. Take that decision by the 4th week,of Feb.

rex911

Star Member
Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
juliarhw said:
Received my ITA on Jan 13, and just realized I need to get ECA for my BSc from China even though I have a MSc degree in Canada...

The verification institute in China (ECA requires degrees from China to be verified first then assessed) is on winter break from Jan 6 to Feb 29 and my ITA expires on March 13, so there is no way that I get my ECA in time...

My plan is to submit my degree and transcript for now. Does anyone know if this might get us rejected or if I put this situation in the explanation letter they might consider to wait for the ECA?
I'm from the same education background as OP: Chinese Bsc and Canadian MSc.

Did CIC unambiguously ask for ECA from you? In my case ECA was not required at all anywhere in my application. And in the questionnaire CIC asked me "Do you have ECA for your Chinese degree?" I answered no and still got 135 points for the Master's degree. As others have said you are not getting points from the Chinese degree therefore not required to evaluate it.

ag2015usa

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
FTR, regardless of whether your highest degree is Canadian or not, you only need to get an ECA for the highest one:

I have two degrees from outside Canada. Do I need an Educational Credential Assessment for both?
To get the most points possible for your education under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you should get your highest degree, diploma or certificate assessed (PhD, MA, BA).

If you have more than one credential, you may want to get both assessed if it would give you more points.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?t=29

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rex911 said:
I'm from the same education background as OP: Chinese Bsc and Canadian MSc.

Did CIC unambiguously ask for ECA from you? In my case ECA was not required at all anywhere in my application. And in the questionnaire CIC asked me "Do you have ECA for your Chinese degree?" I answered no and still got 150 points for the Master's degree. As others have said you are not getting points from the Chinese degree therefore not required to evaluate it.
Hi there ;D,

I have not submitted my PR applications yet, and similarly like you, I was not asked for the ECA on my BSc in the questionaire and got all the points I need.

My source of information for ECA on my BSc is just the cic website regarding ECA. Since technically speaking, I am getting 50 points under CRS for having post-secondary education for more than three years (which is my BSc study, since my MSc degree only took two years), and cic states any educational history that helps you earn CRS points should be assessed.

I am not sure if it is just my paranoia or it could potential get us rejected.

juliarhw

Jan 22, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ag2015usa said:
FTR, regardless of whether your highest degree is Canadian or not, you only need to get an ECA for the highest one:
On the website you mentioned, there is a question:

I have two degrees from outside Canada. Do I need an Educational Credential Assessment for both?

To get the most points possible for your education under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you should get your highest degree, diploma or certificate assessed (PhD, MA, BA).

If you have more than one credential, you may want to get both assessed if it would give you more points.

The problem is in the last sentence, there is a "if it would give you more points" which seems true in my case ???

ag2015usa

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
No you are not. The points for education are NOT additive. You only get them for your highest qualification.