+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what means " family members"

cicada

May 23, 2017
Hi there,
My husband will spouse me for PR. So I am the principal applicant.
On the document checklist shows" You (the principal applicant) must declare your family members (accompanying and non-accompanying). if you do not, it may result in the refusal of your application and the inability to sponsor them in the future. For more information, please consult the Basic Guide (IMM5525)"
I do not have any kids. I am not sure should I declare my parents as my family members?
I thought the family members only include the kid and husband.

thank you

emeritus

Jul 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
AOR Received.
10-08-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
Dec
Med's Done....
Jan 12
Hi there,
My husband will spouse me for PR. So I am the principal applicant.
On the document checklist shows" You (the principal applicant) must declare your family members (accompanying and non-accompanying). if you do not, it may result in the refusal of your application and the inability to sponsor them in the future. For more information, please consult the Basic Guide (IMM5525)"
I do not have any kids. I am not sure should I declare my parents as my family members?
I thought the family members only include the kid and husband.

thank you
The principal applicant (you) must declare all immediate family members (parents, your spouse/sponsor, children, brothers and sisters) on the Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] form. If you decide to sponsor them in the future, they must be listed on this form or they will not "exist" for the Canadian government and you will not be able to sponsor them.

Dependents are those who "depend" on you financially, so normally this would mean children and spouse.

Reactions: sarkhan9229

cicada

May 23, 2017
The principal applicant (you) must declare all immediate family members (parents, your spouse/sponsor, children, brothers and sisters) on the Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] form. If you decide to sponsor them in the future, they must be listed on this form or they will not "exist" for the Canadian government and you will not be able to sponsor them.

Dependents are those who "depend" on you financially, so normally this would mean children and spouse.
Thanks for replying. Do I need write my parents on the Generic Application Form for Canda ( IMM0008) as well? there is a question on the IMM008 form " how many family members, including you, are in this application? I just wrote 1. because my parents are not applying for PR at this time.
So i just need to fill Additional Family Information ( IMM5406) for my parents?

emeritus

Jul 11, 2017
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
AOR Received.
10-08-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
Dec
Med's Done....
Jan 12
Thanks for replying. Do I need write my parents on the Generic Application Form for Canda ( IMM0008) as well? there is a question on the IMM008 form " how many family members, including you, are in this application? I just wrote 1. because my parents are not applying for PR at this time.
So i just need to fill Additional Family Information ( IMM5406) for my parents?
The only applicant is you, so yes, just one applicant. Where ever they ask directly for your parents' information, (eg. mother's name, date of birth, etc) you must list their information. Do not list them as dependents. Yes, you must list their information (name, DOB, address, martial status) on the IMM5406 form. This form is so that if you wish to sponsor them in the future, you have declared/confirmed them as being your parents.

cicada

May 23, 2017
The only applicant is you, so yes, just one applicant. Where ever they ask directly for your parents' information, (eg. mother's name, date of birth, etc) you must list their information. Do not list them as dependents. Yes, you must list their information (name, DOB, address, martial status) on the IMM5406 form. This form is so that if you wish to sponsor them in the future, you have declared/confirmed them as being your parents.
Thank you so much!

cicada

May 23, 2017

I am checking the Supporting documents for sponsored persons ( principal applicant and all family member). So i am the principal applicant, i am sure i need to submit all the supporting documents. but how about my parents? my parents and my husband are my family members. Do my parents need to submit all the documents as well?
it says" you 9the principal applicant) must provide the following ( photocopies only) for yourself and your family members:"

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
I am checking the Supporting documents for sponsored persons ( principal applicant and all family member). So i am the principal applicant, i am sure i need to submit all the supporting documents. but how about my parents? my parents and my husband are my family members. Do my parents need to submit all the documents as well?
it says" you 9the principal applicant) must provide the following ( photocopies only) for yourself and your family members:"
you dont have to fill separate forms for your parents. the definition of family member doesnt include parents.

CIC website gives following definition for family member:

An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to CIC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#f

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
'Family member' for the immigration forms means the sponsor's spouse or common-law or conjugal partner, dependent children, and their dependent children, as noted above. It does not mean parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. So anywhere on the forms where they ask about 'family members', you just have to list any dependent children, since you are the principal applicant. You don't have any, so things like the medical check, police certificates, and official photos are just you. Your husband is already a Canadian, so does not need to be listed or have medicals and police checks done.
However, where the forms specifically ask you to list your parents, you must do so.
Likewise, the Additional Family Information form is asking about 'additional family', so yes, here you have to list your husband, your parents, all children, and all your siblings. It does not matter for this form whether you plan to sponsor them later or not. You have to list them even if they are deceased.

Reactions: nina2704 and upon

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi,
I am a Canadian PR holder. I did not add my sister in my application (IMM 5406) considering the fact that she is married. Now she has decided to move to Canada and would require sibling points. As I did not declare her initially, would she be able to get those point?
This situation may be a little complicated for both you and your sister. IMM 5406 Additional Family Member form requires you to list all your family members that includes your spouse, common law partner, your parents, your children and your siblings (married or not). You need to consult with a immigration lawyer for the answer.

peesh

Mar 2, 2018
I am sponsoring my husband to come to Canada, he’s an American citizen. On the form to declare his “family members” it is noted to include dependents which would include your spouse. Does he need to include me on this dependents form, as I am the one sponsoring and also am already a Canadian citizen. I understand he he will have to include me on “additional family information”, but I am unsure about whether he needs to include me on the dependents form.

Doc_2005

Apr 9, 2019
I have a brother with whom i was working ...that means i m declaring my work experience(paid) from his work place with all the details.
Then ,when later it will be asked abt siblings' information, will this cause a problem as they might see the similarity with the names. Or should i explain in the LOE before itself??? Or there is no need??