+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What may be considered as a significant change in relationship?

gsa77

Feb 20, 2019
My wife application was refused. They think marriage is not genuine, here is what was in the refusal letter:

In coming to this conclusion I have considered your lack of shared language, your limited knowledge about your husband’s personal life in Canada and lack of common-interests or explanation as to what makes you compatible with your husband. Before arriving at my decision, I advised you of the specific concerns that I had identified in your case regarding your relationship with your sponsor, and asked you to address these issues. You were unable to provide a response that satisfied my concerns.

I am not going to appeal but I will reapply. As far as I understand it will only make sense if there is what they call a very significant change in relationship.

So what may be considered by them to be such a change?

Here are some red flags which I think led to refusal:

1. Different cultures, different races, different religion. (I am a Canadian citizen originally from Russia. She is from Dominican republic).

2. Married 11 months after first meeting.

3. No relatives or friends present at the wedding from my side

4. 15 years age difference (I am older than her)

5. She was married to a Canadian before

6. 2 TRV refusal (one submitted by her 1st husband, one by me)

7. She is currently a student and I financially support her.

8. She speaks only basic English I speak only basic Spanish

9. She did not answer correct about my current city and could not remember my friend's name at the interview.

10. She did not know details of how I moved to Canada.

11. We discussed prenup but did not do it.

12. She has a daughter (from a Dominican who moved to Germany).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To be honest - you have a huge number of red flags. It sounds like she's just trying to get to Canada and I think you have a lot to overcome to show you have a real relationship. I think you'll want to wait a while before reapplying. Maybe consider living with her for a while in her country to prove your relationship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife application was refused. They think marriage is not genuine, here is what was in the refusal letter:

In coming to this conclusion I have considered your lack of shared language, your limited knowledge about your husband’s personal life in Canada and lack of common-interests or explanation as to what makes you compatible with your husband. Before arriving at my decision, I advised you of the specific concerns that I had identified in your case regarding your relationship with your sponsor, and asked you to address these issues. You were unable to provide a response that satisfied my concerns.

I am not going to appeal but I will reapply. As far as I understand it will only make sense if there is what they call a very significant change in relationship.

So what may be considered by them to be such a change?

Here are some red flags which I think led to refusal:

1. Different cultures, different races, different religion. (I am a Canadian citizen originally from Russia. She is from Dominican republic).

2. Married 11 months after first meeting.

3. No relatives or friends present at the wedding from my side

4. 15 years age difference (I am older than her)

5. She was married to a Canadian before

6. 2 TRV refusal (one submitted by her 1st husband, one by me)

7. She is currently a student and I financially support her.

8. She speaks only basic English I speak only basic Spanish

9. She did not answer correct about my current city and could not remember my friend's name at the interview.

10. She did not know details of how I moved to Canada.

11. We discussed prenup but did not do it.

12. She has a daughter (from a Dominican who moved to Germany).
I agree with scylla. Huge red flags and very strong indications that you are being used.

Probably your only chance of approval is if you go live with her long-term before applying again.

gsa77

Feb 20, 2019
Thanks for replies. I see how you and immigration officers make assumptions based on stereotypes and thinking that everyone just want to move Canada no matter what.

She never told me that she wanted to move here. In fact she keeps telling me to move over there. I suggested to bring her here on TRV for her to see how life is here so she can make informed decision before I propose to her. I started sponsorship application because after TRV refusal it seems to be the only way to bring her here so that we could live together.

You can see in this video how and why Dominicans return back after living abroad in "first world" countries

She never suggested to marry. I married her because I wanted to "seal the deal" and did not want to loose her. I actually went to DR to find a wife. If you have experience dating both Canadian and Latin women you will understand why I chose to do so.

She was married to a Canadian before. It is no wonder that she is attracted to gringos since Dominican father of her daughter had betrayed her. She also has friends who married gringos and happily live together over there. Including owner of the place where I stayed during my first visit who introduced us.

She does not work and I support her because I asked her to finish school. She quit school as a teenager and started working after her mother died. She was also taking professional courses so she could start a well paid job after moving here. And of course she is taking English courses.

I did not get a chance to explain any of that at the interview. And some of my explanations were excluded in the interview transcript in the GCMS notes.

You are right that I should live with her longer. In the GCMS notes they calculated total amount of days spent together and decided to ignore how many times I visited her and that we are always in contact thanks to modern technologies.

But Immigration does not let her to move in with me. And I cannot move over there to work for $5 hour. I came to Canada as a skilled worker. Most of the engineers in my company are immigrants too. Isn't it ironic that Canada struggles to get qualified workers here and Immigration pushes them away?

Do you have any other suggestions what else can we change before submitting new application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for replies. I see how you and immigration officers make assumptions based on stereotypes and thinking that everyone just want to move Canada no matter what.

She never told me that she wanted to move here. In fact she keeps telling me to move over there. I suggested to bring her here on TRV for her to see how life is here so she can make informed decision before I propose to her. I started sponsorship application because after TRV refusal it seems to be the only way to bring her here so that we could live together.

You can see in this video how and why Dominicans return back after living abroad in "first world" countries

She never suggested to marry. I married her because I wanted to "seal the deal" and did not want to loose her. I actually went to DR to find a wife. If you have experience dating both Canadian and Latin women you will understand why I chose to do so.

She was married to a Canadian before. It is no wonder that she is attracted to gringos since Dominican father of her daughter had betrayed her. She also has friends who married gringos and happily live together over there. Including owner of the place where I stayed during my first visit who introduced us.

She does not work and I support her because I asked her to finish school. She quit school as a teenager and started working after her mother died. She was also taking professional courses so she could start a well paid job after moving here. And of course she is taking English courses.

I did not get a chance to explain any of that at the interview. And some of my explanations were excluded in the interview transcript in the GCMS notes.

You are right that I should live with her longer. In the GCMS notes they calculated total amount of days spent together and decided to ignore how many times I visited her and that we are always in contact thanks to modern technologies.

But Immigration does not let her to move in with me. And I cannot move over there to work for $5 hour. I came to Canada as a skilled worker. Most of the engineers in my company are immigrants too. Isn't it ironic that Canada struggles to get qualified workers here and Immigration pushes them away?

Do you have any other suggestions what else can we change before submitting new application?
It is not an assumption based on stereotypes. Many Domincan spouses are successfully sponsored. It is based on the information you have provided. No common language, her failing to answer basic questions about you, the age difference, the lack of time together in person, her previous marriage to a Canadian, etc.

The story you told of her not wanting to move, not suggesting marriage etc. is fairly typical of Marriages of Convenience. The person knows that if they push it, it is too obvious.

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
Many red flags here, and I'd say not so much because of the wife, but more because of the sponsor. Based on the information provided, sounds like this relationship has been driven by the sponsor's desires. If he actually wants to "seal the deal" (and have a real shot at securing Canadian PR for his wife), he should spend some real time in the DR.

Attak

Dec 29, 2016

I suggest you study the reasons for refusal carefully and address their concerns when you reapply. Don't give up one day you would overcome this. Some of these officers can sometimes frustrate people life. But don't give up