+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What maritial status to use if divorce case pending while applying for a visitor visa Canada

Rahul Bisht

May 24, 2018
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am planning to visit Canada to attend my cousin’s wedding in Jul18. But i have my divorce case pending in India court, though it is on mutual consent. So here is the advise i need.
1. What maritial status i should use to apply for the visitor visa?
2. If i apply as married and get the visa and at the time of travel divorce is granted then what will happen?
3. Will i have to inform the embassy about this or will i be able to travel on the original information?
4. Also the duration i can stay in Canada on the visitor visa? As i am very disturbed with this case thing and want to relax for some time.

Yours Sincerely,
RB

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am planning to visit Canada to attend my cousin’s wedding in Jul18. But i have my divorce case pending in India court, though it is on mutual consent. So here is the advise i need.
1. What maritial status i should use to apply for the visitor visa?
2. If i apply as married and get the visa and at the time of travel divorce is granted then what will happen?
3. Will i have to inform the embassy about this or will i be able to travel on the original information?
4. Also the duration i can stay in Canada on the visitor visa? As i am very disturbed with this case thing and want to relax for some time.

Yours Sincerely,
RB
Since it is a visiting visa you can apply as per your current marital status which is married .. You are divorced only after the case is closed..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
When you apply for a visitor visa is advisable to only suggest that your stay will be for 2-3 weeks given any longer and the odds of approval diminish. Having said that when you arrive the CBSA officer will determine your actual length of stay based on what answers you give at the border so even if asked for 2-3 weeks in your application you could get upto the 6 month maximum.

Not aware that you need to keep immigration aware of any change in marital status after visa issued on a just a visit visa, if were a PR landing, a study permit or a work permit that would be different and would need to notify.

Last edited:

Rahul Bisht

May 24, 2018
When you apply for a visitor visa is advisable to only suggest that your stay will be for 2-3 weeks given any longer and the odds of approval diminish. Having said that when you arrive the CBSA officer will determine your actual length of stay based on what answers you give at the border so even if asked for 2-3 weeks in your application you could get upto the 6 month maximum.

Not aware that you need to keep immigration aware of any change in marital status after visa issued on a just a visit visa, if were a PR landing, a study permit or a work permit that would be different and would need to notify.
Thank you for your helpful advise.

SONI2307

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
hey guys, i want to invite my dad on visitor visa to come visit me but i have a question regarding the marital status. He married for the second time and is no longer living with his spouse anymore (been more than a year) and might be going through a divorce. What status should i choose on his Marital status ? Married or legally separated

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
hey guys, i want to invite my dad on visitor visa to come visit me but i have a question regarding the marital status. He married for the second time and is no longer living with his spouse anymore (been more than a year) and might be going through a divorce. What status should i choose on his Marital status ? Married or legally separated
Did he marry the second 'spouse' without divorcing the first legally married spouse? And, no divorce? Marital status: Married because he is not legally separated

Or is he separated from the second spouse? Marital status: Separated

SONI2307

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
So my mom passed away and he then married again but is not living with his second wife for over a year now and we are not in contact with her at all. But he'll be filing for the divorce soon tho. so not sure what status should i chose in his marital status.
Also should i write his second's wife name and information in the form IMM 5645 in the spouse column or leave it blank ? We are not in touch with her
Thank you

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
So my mom passed away and he then married again but is not living with his second wife for over a year now and we are not in contact with her at all. But he'll be filing for the divorce soon tho. so not sure what status should i chose in his marital status.
Also should i write his second's wife name and information in the form IMM 5645 in the spouse column or leave it blank ? We are not in touch with her
Thank you
Marital status: Married

He has not filed for divorce yet. And in some countries, merely living apart does not equate to legal separation

SONI2307

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Marital status: Married

He has not filed for divorce yet. And in some countries, merely living apart does not equate to legal separation
@Bryanna thank you. But do i need to provider her info in the Family information firm ? And even if he files for divorce and is pending, should i just use 'Married' status ?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Bryanna thank you. But do i need to provider her info in the Family information firm ? And even if he files for divorce and is pending, should i just use 'Married' status ?
Yes, your dad must give the details about his second wife in the Family Information form + any children from that marriage (if applicable).

Even if he files for divorce, he would still need to provide these details. The only change will be that his marital status will be considered as 'Legally separated'

Kay2018

Jan 11, 2018
Newfoundland and Labrador
Category........
WP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-03-2021
To prove that he’s legally separated he’s gonna need a court document.. it’s easy to get that from a lawyer..