+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the residency requirement to get immigration visa

Shabnam

Aug 28, 2008
I am planning to sponsor my spouse who lives in Germany. Now he is not a German citizen yet, but he has a legal status there which is renewed every 3 years. He also holds a German travel document. His residency as well as his travel document have to be renewed in 9 months and I was told that he has to have at least one year of legal residency in order for us to start applying for his immigration to Canada. What does this mean? That he has to wait for another 9 months so that he can renew his residency/travel documents and only then we can apply? Or that his travel document must be valid for at least a year, at the time of obtaiing visa to Canada? Anybody has any idea about this? I would really appreciate it.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The one year requirement is only about which Canadian visa office/embassy processes his Permanent Resident application. (Check the link quoted below)

He can always have his file processed at the embassy that represents the country of his birth - but if he wants to have his file processed at the embassy in Berlin, he has to have been legally admitted to Germany for at least one year on his most recent entry. That does not mean he has to have resided in Germany for at least one year, or wait until he has been in Germany for at least a year before he can apply for Canadian PR.

From what you've said, it sounds as though he was initially admitted for a period of three years? If so, he is entitled to use his residential address in Germany (make sure he includes with the application documentation of his legal status in Germany) and his file will be processed through Berlin. If he was not admitted for at least one year he will need to provide a residential address in his country of birth and the application would be processed at the embassy in that country.