+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the prception or the willingness of employers towards PGWP?

comedychiru

Mar 4, 2014
Hello all,

I am sure that many on this forum had PGWP , How does employers in canada look at some one with pgwp or a temporary work permit. I mean in australia, employers dont even bother to look at temporary work visa, They always look for a PR. Is the condition same in canada too?.

Is there a benefit of obtaining a PGWP or a temporary visa.

Thanks a lot.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You stand a much better chance with a PGWP. As far as I am aware, it means you can work for any employer whereas a normal work permit requires the potential employer to do a lot of work for things like an LMO.
Do you qualify for a PGWP, and if so, for how long?

Scarlet9

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-07-2014
Passport Req..
27-10-2014
LANDED..........
13-11-2014
comedychiru said:
Hello all,

I am sure that many on this forum had PGWP , How does employers in canada look at some one with pgwp or a temporary work permit. I mean in australia, employers dont even bother to look at temporary work visa, They always look for a PR. Is the condition same in canada too?.

Is there a benefit of obtaining a PGWP or a temporary visa.

Thanks a lot.
PGWP is definitely better as it does not restrict you a particular position, employer, or province etc. You should have no problems at all finding an employer. In my experience, it is mostly some government jobs or jobs that require some sort of high security clearance that specify that the preference is for Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents. All the best!

maximin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
The issues I am aware of:

1. Very few companies will hire a person with short PGWP because in most cases they will have to sponsor such an employee for PNP nomination.

2. There are companies which accept international graduates only if they already have PGWP. Some HR are not well informed about off-campus work permits.

3. Some professions require PR or even citizenship.