+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the longest time someone has waited for their OWP?

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
Under normal circumstances, what is the longest time someone has waited for their OWP when applying for it with a PR application? (This doesn't include if you missed a signature or payment and had to resubmit).

We've been waiting for over 4.5 months now. It's also been 2 months since we linked the OWP online. We called over a week ago and notified them that the "date that they are currently processing" is passed our date so the cic agent said they sent the OWP people a notification to hurry up with our application (at least that is what we understood). Still no movement.

Is this normal? Should we be worried?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I wouldn't be concerned. Provided that you and your spouse are both in Canada and the package wasn't returned for missing signatures, fees, or forms, there is very little chance it will be refused. It's just taking a while.

I'm used to hearing 3-4 months but it may be taking yours longer.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
I wouldn't be concerned. Provided that you and your spouse are both in Canada and the package wasn't returned for missing signatures, fees, or forms, there is very little chance it will be refused. It's just taking a while.

I'm used to hearing 3-4 months but it may be taking yours longer.
The thing is, PA's IEC (working holiday visa) expired yesterday but we're understanding he can keep working under implied status. However he desperately wants to switch jobs and he can't do so until he gets the OWP. If we applied 6 days later (July 1), he would have had OWP by now. SO FRUSTRATING.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This is unfortunately the danger of immigration processes. He doesn't have a positive right to work and implied status is really a gift, in all honesty. The rules could be much stricter and prohibit working after permits end while waiting for a new one, but they don't.

I'm sorry your OWP is taking so long.

Reactions: Qwertypod

Jotsidhu658

Sep 10, 2019
In my case I applied my OWP along with sponsorship in may 2019, still waiting on my OWP. I called CIC and the agent said my OWP got approved on 17th October but they haven’t printed my approval letter yet and on GCKey, file status is submitted ‍♀... CIC agent asked me to wait for atleast 1 month and call them again if I will not receive my OWP so now I really don’t think so I’m going to get my OWP ever.