+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the fastest way to change employer on closed work permit?

msh6870

May 20, 2020
Hi,

I am working for big 5 company and on a closed work permit but want to switch. Applied for PR, will complete 6 months on October 30th but I am not very confident of getting it by then.

In the current scenario, what are my option?

If I want to switch. Work permit open or close both gonna take 4-5 months at least.

Thanks

AUG2020

Star Member
Aug 26, 2020
These are the steps as of now due to Covid...
1.Get the LMIA done and it is pretty fast
2.Lodge your new closed WP application online and get the submission confirmation
3.Submit a web form stating that you want to start the work immediately
4.You will get an email from IRCC within 2 weeks saying that you can start your work for your new employer while waiting for your WP final approval which may take months

Please note if your WP application is refused later then you need to stop working immediately. So there are some risks involved in this approach.

msh6870

May 20, 2020
Your new employer must apply for a LMIA (or LMIA exempt) & then you apply for closed permit.
Yeah, but I want to know what is the minimum time required for processing. If I am not wrong LMIA can take several months.

msh6870

May 20, 2020
These are the steps as of now due to Covid...
1.Get the LMIA done and it is pretty fast
2.Lodge your new closed WP application online and get the submission confirmation
3.Submit a web form stating that you want to start the work immediately
4.You will get an email from IRCC within 2 weeks saying that you can start your work for your new employer while waiting for your WP final approval which may take months

Please note if your WP application is refused later then you need to stop working immediately. So there are some risks involved in this approach.
Is 2 weeks processing for foreign workers or for all? And that too for "Global Talent Stream", I think this won't apply if a candidate is already in Canada, correct me if I am wrong.

msh6870

May 20, 2020
Are you Eligible under global talent stream for expedited processing. If not probably 5-6 months.

check processing times

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Thanks for the link. As I said earlier, the global talent stream is for foreign workers not for people who are already in Canada. I came to Canada on a closed work permit as a part of the Global Talent Stream.

So I think in a closed work permit in Canada its very difficult to change employer.

Hope@Canada

Oct 1, 2018
Hi,

I am working for big 5 company and on a closed work permit but want to switch. Applied for PR, will complete 6 months on October 30th but I am not very confident of getting it by then.

In the current scenario, what are my option?

If I want to switch. Work permit open or close both gonna take 4-5 months at least.

Thanks
Hi. Sorry this is not a question related to this thread but want to ask you. My PR application is same as your timeline. Want to know current status of your application if you are okay. Did you receive BIL (Biometrics Letter)? If so how are you providing them?

msh6870

May 20, 2020
Hi. Sorry this is not a question related to this thread but want to ask you. My PR application is same as your timeline. Want to know current status of your application if you are okay. Did you receive BIL (Biometrics Letter)? If so how are you providing them?
I got biometrics like 2 months ago, waiting for Service Canada to open :rolleyes:
How about you?

Hope@Canada

Oct 1, 2018
I got biometrics like 2 months ago, waiting for Service Canada to open :rolleyes:
How about you?
I received around 20 Days back and waiting for Service Canada to open. What does it say in your IRCC account? like "Your Action is Required" or "Submitted"? Did you receive Eligibility Pass Update?

msh6870

May 20, 2020
I received around 20 Days back and waiting for Service Canada to open. What does it say in your IRCC account? like "Your Action is Required" or "Submitted"? Did you receive Eligibility Pass Update?
I got my biometrics request 2 months ago still waiting for Service Canada but you can see many are waiting since March :oops:

AUG2020

Star Member
Aug 26, 2020
Is 2 weeks processing for foreign workers or for all? And that too for "Global Talent Stream", I think this won't apply if a candidate is already in Canada, correct me if I am wrong.
Refer this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html

Go to the section " If you change jobs or employers "

If you change jobs or employers

If you have an employer-specific work permit and you want to change jobs or employers, you must apply for a new work permit from inside Canada. International Experience Canada (IEC) participants must first check that they can change employers with an IEC work permit.

However, you don’t need to wait until your work permit application is approved to start your new job or work for a new employer. You just need an email from IRCC that says you have permission to change jobs.

As always, open work permit holders can change employers at any time.

Who’s eligible:
How to apply

To change jobs or employers, follow these steps:

Step 1: Apply for your work permit

Apply for a new work permit from inside Canada.

Most people must apply online.

If you can’t apply online because of a disability or because there is a problem with the online application, you can apply on paper.

Step 2: Fill out the IRCC Web form

After you apply, fill out the IRCC Web form.

When you fill out the Your enquiry section, you must copy the text below that applies to your situation. Make sure you fill out the sections in square brackets, including the
  • dates
  • name(s) of employer(s)
  • title of your job
If you applied on paper and don’t know your application number, include your courier tracking number. This will ensure we can find your application.

If you have other questions, you need to fill out a new IRCC Web form.

Message that work permit holders changing jobs or employers need to paste into the Web form Message that workers who have been work permit exempt need to paste into the Web form

Step 3: Wait for our email

Wait for us to send you an email. It will confirm that you can start your new job or work for your new employer while we process your application.

If you applied online for your work permit, the email should arrive in about 10 business days. If you applied on paper, it may take longer.

Reactions: psharma85