+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the fastest way to change employer on closed work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Refer this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html

Go to the section " If you change jobs or employers "

If you change jobs or employers

If you have an employer-specific work permit and you want to change jobs or employers, you must apply for a new work permit from inside Canada. International Experience Canada (IEC) participants must first check that they can change employers with an IEC work permit.

However, you don’t need to wait until your work permit application is approved to start your new job or work for a new employer. You just need an email from IRCC that says you have permission to change jobs.

As always, open work permit holders can change employers at any time.

Who’s eligible:
How to apply

To change jobs or employers, follow these steps:

Step 1: Apply for your work permit

Apply for a new work permit from inside Canada.

Most people must apply online.

If you can’t apply online because of a disability or because there is a problem with the online application, you can apply on paper.

Step 2: Fill out the IRCC Web form

After you apply, fill out the IRCC Web form.

When you fill out the Your enquiry section, you must copy the text below that applies to your situation. Make sure you fill out the sections in square brackets, including the
  • dates
  • name(s) of employer(s)
  • title of your job
If you applied on paper and don’t know your application number, include your courier tracking number. This will ensure we can find your application.

If you have other questions, you need to fill out a new IRCC Web form.

Message that work permit holders changing jobs or employers need to paste into the Web form Message that workers who have been work permit exempt need to paste into the Web form

Step 3: Wait for our email

Wait for us to send you an email. It will confirm that you can start your new job or work for your new employer while we process your application.

If you applied online for your work permit, the email should arrive in about 10 business days. If you applied on paper, it may take longer.
You are still taking a risk. If the employer doesn’t eventually get approved for the LMIA or you don’t get your WP approved then you have a problem.

Kyonadi

Jan 25, 2023
However, you don’t need to wait until your work permit application is approved to start your new job or work for a new employer. You just need an email from IRCC that says you have permission to change jobs.
Hello, I was recently affected by mass lay-offs at one of big 5 companies. The current processing time for a new work permit takes 169 days. I wonder if the case mentioned above still valid for now? The Government of Canada still has this information posted in their official website, but what concerns me is the words "Due to COVID-19" which doesn't sound like a problem anymore.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/change-jobs-employers.html

Could you please comment if working before work permit approval is still allowed nowadays?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I was recently affected by mass lay-offs at one of big 5 companies. The current processing time for a new work permit takes 169 days. I wonder if the case mentioned above still valid for now? The Government of Canada still has this information posted in their official website, but what concerns me is the words "Due to COVID-19" which doesn't sound like a problem anymore.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/change-jobs-employers.html

Could you please comment if working before work permit approval is still allowed nowadays?
So you have a new LMIA?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Let's assume a new company acquires a new LMIA for me, so yes
If you meet the conditions that you provided in the link, and have received an email from IRCC stating you can work for the new employer while permit is being processed then yes.