+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the Career progression in Security Jobs?

Harri

Feb 24, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2010
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
Med's Request
24 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
24 March 2012
Interview........
No news
Passport Req..
PPR1 7 Nov 2012, PPR2 3rd Dec 2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
14 Feb 2013, Calgary
Many newly arrived immigrants who land in Canada takes up Security Jobs after necessary training and certifications, and as far my observation is concerned most of them do not complain, so I guess the security jobs are not a bad idea.
Also I have observed that few applicants would talk about the security job as if it is not good.
Can someone shed light on the pros and cons of security jobs? Is there any career progression? (I guess there must be some, because its not a small industry). If one has to adopt this profession on a longer basis what positive points can one have?
I wanted to start this discussion because this topic has not been discussed in detail, although several people adopt this profession, and I am sure it will be helpful to several to be migrants whos biggest worry is taking up a new profession in Canada, required advanced training (because we know a 40 hours basic course to obtain a license)

Replies from the experienced people are welcome.

Harri

Feb 24, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2010
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
Med's Request
24 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
24 March 2012
Interview........
No news
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
14 Feb 2013, Calgary
SOHEL SARFARAZ ABBASI said:
Is this related with IT security or what ?
Not IT Security but Physical Security, as I already mentioned that new arrivals take up this with initially 40 hours training and license. So this cant be IT Security.
Forum members living in Canada can give the exact idea about my query.

lovie

Oct 9, 2011
Dubai
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/09/2009
Doc's Request.
18/11/2009
AOR Received.
25/07/2010
File Transfer...
In process : 25/04/2012
Med's Request
11/06/2012
Med's Done....
14/06/2012! Received at LVO on 26/06/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26/07/2012
VISA ISSUED...
17/08/2012
LANDED..........
October 1 '12
From what I heard , immigrants who take up security jobs have to wait at least 10 years before they can fill up government positions . Apart from that security has a good scope , I know a guy who graduated in risk management and security and is now a investigation officer after being in security for a year , he says there are good opportunities to progress.

So I guess not bad after all!!!!

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)
U can take security training and certification after 2/4 weeks of training it will cost u around $450 - $1000 depending on agency.

The agency is responsible to arrange jobs for u. They might be able to give u 20hr - 60hrs a week.

Plus side :
Not back breaking job (Not that much manual labour involved).
Enough spare time to do reading (education).
Most duties are at night or evening shift so u get enough day hr to pursue any other carrier development option.
If you are in right track and can make connection u can open your own security firm.

Cons:
Includes a high risk factor, though they are trained not to confront and dangerous situation.
Not a white collar job (If you know what i meant).

Hope this helps.
BR
Idas

Harri

Feb 24, 2008
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2010
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
Med's Request
24 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
24 March 2012
Interview........
No news
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
13-Dec-2012
LANDED..........
14 Feb 2013, Calgary
lovie and idas many many thanks for your replies, I am sure this can help a lot of people who might have to adopt the profession of security in Canada.

trust_in_god

Aug 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
AOR Received.
October 2010
Med's Request
July 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
Waiting
Dear Idas, appreciate if you shed more lights on similar kinds of survival jobs.

idas

Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
DONE :-)
trust_in_god said:
Dear Idas, appreciate if you shed more lights on similar kinds of survival jobs.
There are various kind of survival jobs. Most of them you can classified as manual labor like working in a food industry or printing press. You work in line, your job is to do a single task like picking/filling up box or loading products(20lb/40lb/60lbs). You will do it 8hr a day. Every 2hr u will get a 15mn break. But, if you are cleaver enough you can get away with jobs with lighter workload.

If you are good with driving, You can become a "Taxi Driver" which pays a lot compared to other survival jobs.

There are options to work in grocery, butcher shops and fast food joints. Getting a survival jobs at stores like wall-mart and other super stores are tough but if you are lucky and have good reference you can get in. As they care for their employees you will have a carrier in there.

BR
Idas

trust_in_god

Aug 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
AOR Received.
October 2010
Med's Request
July 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
Waiting
idas said:
There are various kind of survival jobs. Most of them you can classified as manual labor like working in a food industry or printing press. You work in line, your job is to do a single task like picking/filling up box or loading products(20lb/40lb/60lbs). You will do it 8hr a day. Every 2hr u will get a 15mn break. But, if you are cleaver enough you can get away with jobs with lighter workload.

If you are good with driving, You can become a "Taxi Driver" which pays a lot compared to other survival jobs.

There are options to work in grocery, butcher shops and fast food joints. Getting a survival jobs at stores like wall-mart and other super stores are tough but if you are lucky and have good reference you can get in. As they care for their employees you will have a carrier in there.

BR
Idas
Many thanks Idas!! All info is quite helpful.