+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what is the best way to sponsor my wife from the UK

gbsingh

Jul 17, 2010
Just need to get some correct info from anyone who can help, i am a canadian born citizen and would like to sponsor my wife from the uk she is currently in canada as a visitor and will have to return soon after her visa expires, so any info as how to go about the whole process would be appreciated... ie.. is it better for her to apply from outside of canada or should she do it while shes here now..

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

rrdiggy76

Star Member
Apr 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2010
File Transfer...
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
An outland application would be the way forward, especially as your wife is returning back here to the UK.

I believe it is possible to complete an outland application whilst inside Canada too, although i'm unsure of the technicalities of this.

An outland application is also a quicker timeline than an inland application and there is nothing to stop your wife revisiting during the application process, so long as you can provide proof that she will return to the UK after each visit until the process is completed. Search for Dual intent for more details of this.

If she is with you for a little while longer, it may be beneficial to download and start the application forms whilst you can both look through them together and begin to outline the finer details in question. This may save you some valuable time.

The application, once the sponsor's part has been processed at CPC Mississauga, will be sent to the visa office in London.

One point to note, if there will be changes to residential addresses during the application process, be sure to keep the visa offices updated of these.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She doesn't have to leave if you don't want her to. She can apply for a visit status extension based on that you will soon be applying for sponsorship. If she does that, she needs to keep applying for extensions as they run out until she gets PR or leaves.

If you apply inland Canada, it's actually not advised for her to leave Canada because it's a requirement for inland that she is in Canada. If she needs to be back and forth to the UK in the next year or 2, it would be better to apply outland where her application is processed in the UK. They are generally fast there. She should have her PR through outland before she would even have first stage approval with inland. The first stage approval with inland takes 7-8 months right now. PR takes maybe a year to 18 months. Outland takes 6 weeks in Mississauga and then average of 3 months in London to get PR.

You can find application forms for both types of application at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp#step1 Inland is the package where it says: "If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada," and outland is the package where it says: "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives abroad,". You can still apply outland if she's in Canada. You would just give her address in the UK and you can even give your address in Canada as her mailing address.