+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best way to prove physical presence in Canada when unemployed?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Would it be better to wait and apply in about 6 months?
I am responding to this particular part of your queries first because waiting longer to apply, if that is a practical option (it is not for everyone), is often the best insurance the prospective applicant can buy. Waiting does not guarantee no RQ. But it can lower the risk a lot, and it can also make the process go a lot more smoothly if there is some RQ-related non-routing processing (full blown RQ appears to be limited to the most severely challenged cases these days; there are various lesser RQ-related requests which do not require the applicant to fully document all employment and addresses plus some).

And as someone who waited well over an extra year, I can attest it goes by faster than one might apprehend. Again, if it is a practical option.

In your particular situation, it appears you are talking about credit for three months worth of time in Canada, time in Canada prior to becoming a PR which only gets credit at the half-day rate. So waiting three months longer to apply would cover that period of six months prior to becoming a PR.

And I typically suggest waiting at least a month on top of any period of time for which there is some possibility of an issue.

Which leads to . . .

Before I left canada (during those 6 months being unemployed) I applied for the bridging work permit so I could stay waiting for the PR results . . .
I do not follow and am not much familiar with the details of temporary resident status. What I do know, however, is that among issues some applicants have encountered, in relying on time in Canada prior to becoming a PR, is the absence of a hard copy visa or permit. That is, I do not know much about what a "bridging work permit" is . . . but for purposes of getting credit for the time actually spent in Canada as a temporary resident, it can make a difference whether IRCC actually issued you a formal visa or permit covering the dates you are seeking credit for. That is, it can be important that IRCC records, your GCMS in particular, specifically shows you had status as a temporary resident during that particular period of time. (Periods in Canada with implied status, for example, tend to be problematic.)

Thus, for example, if you received an actual physical permit from IRCC, as your "bridging permit," covering the dates you remained in Canada, there should be no problem getting credit for that time. Otherwise, it can be a bit more fuzzy. But here again, six months before becoming a PR counts a mere three months toward citizenship, so waiting three months more plus some for a general margin above the minimum would be the safe approach.

Beyond that . . . regarding PROOF . . .

I have a situation when I was in canada for 6 months without any job. I applied for PR once from Canada in 2016, then I lost my job cause the company went out of busines. I couldn’t work for anyone else cause my work permit was for that one company only. I spent 6 months after that sitting on my butt waiting for the PR results. My application was refused due to me loosing my employment so I left and reapplied from my home country. This time I got my PR. Before I left canada (during those 6 months being unemployed) I applied for the bridging work permit so I could stay waiting for the PR results and also improved my language test score so I can reapply from back home.
Do you guys think they might have a problem believing me that I was in Canada for 6 months unemployed? Would the fact that I applied for that bridging permit during that time and that I had that language test before I left be sufficient to convince them? Do you even think they’ll ask at all? I also have the flight ticket I booked to fly back home after those 6 month.

I know that sometimes they issue something called RQ (residency questionnaire) when you have longer periods of unemployment and then you have to send everything that you have that can be a proof of your residency in Canada during that time. I was trying to come up with some proof I’d be able to provide and I came up only with my bridging open work permit application I submitted, my CELPIP language test and the ticket to flight home.
There are many, many other aspects of a citizenship applicant's case which will influence how it goes far, far more than this or that particular detail in proof for this or that period of time.

Many appear to underestimate the extent to which IRCC can sort and figure things out. A decade ago things were different. A lot has changed. The extent to which IRCC can access and research so-called open source information, that alone, now enables IRCC to far better identify applicants with what were, in the past, described as reasons-to-question-residency.

PRs should keep complete and exact records of all international travel. Beyond that, the usual records people keep should suffice.

Reactions: Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
I am responding to this particular part of your queries first because waiting longer to apply, if that is a practical option (it is not for everyone), is often the best insurance the prospective applicant can buy. Waiting does not guarantee no RQ. But it can lower the risk a lot, and it can also make the process go a lot more smoothly if there is some RQ-related non-routing processing (full blown RQ appears to be limited to the most severely challenged cases these days; there are various lesser RQ-related requests which do not require the applicant to fully document all employment and addresses plus some).

And as someone who waited well over an extra year, I can attest it goes by faster than one might apprehend. Again, if it is a practical option.

In your particular situation, it appears you are talking about credit for three months worth of time in Canada, time in Canada prior to becoming a PR which only gets credit at the half-day rate. So waiting three months longer to apply would cover that period of six months prior to becoming a PR.

And I typically suggest waiting at least a month on top of any period of time for which there is some possibility of an issue.

Which leads to . . .

I do not follow and am not much familiar with the details of temporary resident status. What I do know, however, is that among issues some applicants have encountered, in relying on time in Canada prior to becoming a PR, is the absence of a hard copy visa or permit. That is, I do not know much about what a "bridging work permit" is . . . but for purposes of getting credit for the time actually spent in Canada as a temporary resident, it can make a difference whether IRCC actually issued you a formal visa or permit covering the dates you are seeking credit for. That is, it can be important that IRCC records, your GCMS in particular, specifically shows you had status as a temporary resident during that particular period of time. (Periods in Canada with implied status, for example, tend to be problematic.)

Thus, for example, if you received an actual physical permit from IRCC, as your "bridging permit," covering the dates you remained in Canada, there should be no problem getting credit for that time. Otherwise, it can be a bit more fuzzy. But here again, six months before becoming a PR counts a mere three months toward citizenship, so waiting three months more plus some for a general margin above the minimum would be the safe approach.

Beyond that . . . regarding PROOF . . .

There are many, many other aspects of a citizenship applicant's case which will influence how it goes far, far more than this or that particular detail in proof for this or that period of time.

Many appear to underestimate the extent to which IRCC can sort and figure things out. A decade ago things were different. A lot has changed. The extent to which IRCC can access and research so-called open source information, that alone, now enables IRCC to far better identify applicants with what were, in the past, described as reasons-to-question-residency.

PRs should keep complete and exact records of all international travel. Beyond that, the usual records people keep should suffice.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.
That bridging open work permit was refused because my first PR application was refused (it’s all connected). When I received my PR refusal I knew that the bridging permit will be refused as well so I left the country even before the result came back but I didn’t include that implied status in the physical presence calculations at all cause I knew it might be problematic. My work permit (actual on paper) was still good until November after I lost my job in June, I just couldn’t work for anyone else because it was good only for that one particular company. That’s the period I’m wondering about, between June and November, cause those are the months I was unemployed but technically my work permit was still good until November so I had a legitimate “temporary worker status” just unemployed.
I also realized that I renewed my passport here in Canada through my country’s Consulat in August during that period of time so that might be a good proof. It says in that passport that it has been issued here.