+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is 'networking' ?

Chandigarh93

Sep 16, 2013
Hi fellow members,

I have read on a few posts that to secure a job in Canada one needs 'networking'. Can someone please explain me what that means?

Also, i am a B.Com graduate from India, but with no experience as I have just finished my graduation. Is it possible to get any good job in calgary? Or would i have to work up my way through studying in Canada first, and then searching for a job?

Thanks!

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Networking is a nice and politically correct word for finding a job that requires connections or bribery. Of course, Canada does not want to be associated with a third world country in any way, so using this word somehow means that getting a job in Canada is somehow an equal playing field.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrbeachman said:
Networking is a nice and politically correct word for finding a job that requires connections or bribery. Of course, Canada does not want to be associated with a third world country in any way, so using this word somehow means that getting a job in Canada is somehow an equal playing field.
Bribery has nothing to do with networking and as far as I know, is also illegal.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
itstime said:
Bribery has nothing to do with networking and as far as I know, is also illegal.
Aha. One needs to look no further than SNC Lavalin and the "networking" between government officials and the said company.

I would also suggest you "network" in one of the many mafia owned construction companies in Quebec (and possibly other provinces).

"Networking" is also useful when a company posts a job offer (just because they are required by law), but they already had little Timmy in mind who's somehow related to the upper management. Ever wonder why you get so many stupid interview questions that have nothing to do with the work you are applying for?

God, at least corruption where I am now is so blatantly obvious. I don't need to waste my time with things that are impossible to achieve.

Ketevan

Mar 26, 2012
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London (Federal), Paris (BIQ)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011 (Quebec); 29-02-2012 (Federal), signed by KRSZWDA
Nomination.....
Interview letter received from BIQ (Paris) November 2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011 (Quebec); 23-03-2012 (Federal, e-mail)
File Transfer...
19-04-2012 (London started processing)
Med's Request
12-06-2012 (delivered on 19-06-2012 by post)
Med's Done....
04-07-2012 (received by London on 09-07-2012, signed by IAN); appeared on ECAS on 31-07-2012
Interview........
06-02-2012 (got CSQ at Paris BIQ)
Passport Req..
30-07-12, but cancelled on 08-08-12 (additional background checks needed :o ) New passport req. - 05/11/12
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-12 (Passport submitted in person 15/11/12; Decision made and canadian address on ECAS 23/11/12; passport picked up in person 29/11/12).
LANDED..........
09-03-13, Montreal YUL
From my personal experience, networking works for lower level temporary jobs. For example, my egyptian friend went to a mosque and met a bangladeshi man who was looking for private arabic tutor for his children. Or my burkinabe friend found a job as convinience store cashier because his senegalese friend had left the job and recommended him to the owner. These are two examples of simple networking.

However, for upper-level jobs, I mostly agree with mrbeachman's definition of networking. If you check many job posts, you will see that the job requirements will simply list the CV of the Timmy in mind because the combination of certifications and competencies they will demand will be rare and unique to Timmy whose life you cannot repeat.

mrbeachman said:
Aha. One needs to look no further than SNC Lavalin and the "networking" between government officials and the said company.

I would also suggest you "network" in one of the many mafia owned construction companies in Quebec (and possibly other provinces).

"Networking" is also useful when a company posts a job offer (just because they are required by law), but they already had little Timmy in mind who's somehow related to the upper management. Ever wonder why you get so many stupid interview questions that have nothing to do with the work you are applying for?

God, at least corruption where I am now is so blatantly obvious. I don't need to waste my time with things that are impossible to achieve.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ketevan said:
From my personal experience, networking works for lower level temporary jobs. For example, my egyptian friend went to a mosque and met a bangladeshi man who was looking for private arabic tutor for his children. Or my burkinabe friend found a job as convinience store cashier because his senegalese friend had left the job and recommended him to the owner. These are two examples of simple networking.
Exactly. It's using family and friends to make connections that can lead to employment.

However, for upper-level jobs, I mostly agree with mrbeachman's definition of networking. If you check many job posts, you will see that the job requirements will simply list the CV of the Timmy in mind because the combination of certifications and competencies they will demand will be rare and unique to Timmy whose life you cannot repeat.
That's not networking. That's headhunting. Totally different. Hpwever, networking to get high skilled jobs is a very very good way of getting them.

Chandigarh93

Sep 16, 2013
mrbeachman said:
I also thought that networking was another name for bribery. But, it is all about having connections and looking out for hidden jobs in the market which you only get to know about if you have proper connections and friends and family who can suggest you to the employer.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chandigarh93 said:
I also thought that networking was another name for bribery. But, it is all about having connections and looking out for hidden jobs in the market which you only get to know about if you have proper connections and friends and family who can suggest you to the employer.
There you go. Happy you figured that out.