+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is IRCC doing? SP extension insane delay!

james donald

Mar 28, 2020
I know International students are the Canada are the least priority to IRCC but they can't think of a solution to speed up study permit extension approval for April graduates? There are many students who can't apply for PGWP because of the lack of not having a valid SP extension document and God knows when they will be issued the extensions as there are no signs of biometric centers reopening. I can't work and there is no merit in applying for PGWP under implied status/not having study permit extension. There are many possible things they can do such as collecting biometrics later or expediting temporary approval or allowing to us to work full time after applying for PGWP but they just want to do everything make the students suffer. I know friends who applied in Jan, Feb for SP extension haven't received it yet and they all graduated in April and still waiting for extension approval. There is no point in contacting the helpline as they are helpless.

Friends is there any movement or petition to the government we can do and make them aware of our situation?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I know International students are the Canada are the least priority to IRCC but they can't think of a solution to speed up study permit extension approval for April graduates? There are many students who can't apply for PGWP because of the lack of not having a valid SP extension document and God knows when they will be issued the extensions as there are no signs of biometric centers reopening. I can't work and there is no merit in applying for PGWP under implied status/not having study permit extension. There are many possible things they can do such as collecting biometrics later or expediting temporary approval or allowing to us to work full time after applying for PGWP but they just want to do everything make the students suffer. I know friends who applied in Jan, Feb for SP extension haven't received it yet and they all graduated in April and still waiting for extension approval. There is no point in contacting the helpline as they are helpless.

Friends is there any movement or petition to the government we can do and make them aware of our situation?
Pretty sure SP extensions are being dealt with quickly. In another thread even people from May were getting approved. I myself got approved last month despite only having applied in March

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
I know more than a dozen students, my roommates who all are in this similar position. I applied in February and still waiting. They are not dealt quickly and they don't understand the gravity of the situation- not having a valid active SIN doesn't help in finding a part-time job and many came in 2017 and 2018. I will be graduating by August and I don't think I will receive my study permit extension by then. There are random cases of people getting approved who applied last month and all but people who applied in Jan/Feb/Mar are all facing similar situation faced by the November 2019 applicants.

lotusss

Jun 22, 2020
I am on the same boat, going to graduate without a valid study permit and stay in unemployment because of biometrics and PGWP.

Those applications that got processed are all got biometrics done. Without biometrics, IRCC just put the application on hold forever. They just don't want provide any flexibility to the students, which is so frustrated.

james donald

Mar 28, 2020
Is it possible that I take admission in one of the fall programs and start working part-time? Hopefully by the time course starts or I could push as much as possible without paying any fee and I will receive study permit by then and I could apply for my work permit.

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
Is it possible that I take admission in one of the fall programs and start working part-time? Hopefully by the time course starts or I could push as much as possible without paying any fee and I will receive study permit by then and I could apply for my work permit.

IRCC processing time for study permit extension is less than two weeks

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada

I contact IRCC today and they told me that they haven't even started working on my application (submitted- Feb 25)- the wait time is not accurate and they are still working on January applicants.
But on the positive, they told me that they are working on a solution to allow implied status PGWP applicants to work while waiting for their PGWP decision. Hang tight!

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019

The delay is due to the pandemic. There is backlogs of applications that needs to be processed. Wait a while.

james donald

Mar 28, 2020
The delay is due to the pandemic. There is backlogs of applications that needs to be processed. Wait a while.
Everyone knows the delay is due to the pandemic. What I am looking forward is a solution so that our applications are not opened infidelity. There is no point in keeping an application open till they receive bio metrics. They already waived biometric requirement and immediate processing for certain temporary foreign workers but no word on PGWP yet. Only if there is enough movement and pressure and from opinions from people who go through similar situation we can raise and press our concerns. Waiting for a while can be from 1 week to 6 months and staying in Canada without having the privilege of working is very difficult on students who have been studying here for more than 2 years. There is no point returning to the home country as once PGWP is approved even after 6 months, there is no guarantee of return. or safely enter Canada It is only wise to stay here and there are many students who can contribute a lot during this pandemic.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Everyone knows the delay is due to the pandemic. What I am looking forward is a solution so that our applications are not opened infidelity. There is no point in keeping an application open till they receive bio metrics. They already waived biometric requirement and immediate processing for certain temporary foreign workers but no word on PGWP yet. Only if there is enough movement and pressure and from opinions from people who go through similar situation we can raise and press our concerns. Waiting for a while can be from 1 week to 6 months and staying in Canada without having the privilege of working is very difficult on students who have been studying here for more than 2 years. There is no point returning to the home country as once PGWP is approved even after 6 months, there is no guarantee of return. or safely enter Canada It is only wise to stay here and there are many students who can contribute a lot during this pandemic.
The Canadian government has no obligations to foreign citizens. The only thing you can do is wait.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Please ignore people like these because they don't contribute anything to the discussion. IRCC when accepting a student's study permit to come to Canada, they have a commitment to the international in providing documents in a reasonable time limit and yes they have an obligation to the temporary residents even during a pandemic.