+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is allowed to take with me to corss the border as a new PR?

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
HELLO EVERYONE::

I just need your help to know what can i take with me when i will cross the border from USA to CANADA as a new permanent resident.

it will be my first landed trip.

So can i drive my own car and get Canadian plated there without any customs fees?

and do i need to issue permanent US plates and pay the tax for the car here in US?
or i can just issue a temporary tags for 30 days in US and then cross the border with it?because i just bought the car.

and what else i can take with me in my car without any problems or fees?

thanks in advance for your help

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You can find all details in this link.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
wilson said:
Hi,

You can find all details in this link.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow
thank u

but i need more details.

as can i drive my car from US to there?
and will i pay tax to customs?

and how much can i take (CASH) US DOLLARS with me?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Again please see here for more details about bringing your car.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2060267_import-car-from-united-states.html

Regarding cash, if you bring above CAD 10,000/= with you you have to declare at the boarder customs.
You can open an account in Canadian Bank and tranfer any amount, which you don't need to declare.

racoon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vagerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, regarding cash.
Every year when I go home, I bring 10 000 USD with me (not CAD!), which is more than 10 000 CAD and I never had a problem =)). So you can bring 10 000 in USD, they don't care and more money/ less card transaction fees for you.

Note: I always honestly tell them that I have 10 grand US, you should too. Because if you tell them they are mostly fine with it, but if you don't it can turn into a serious problem =)). By the way, same with smokes, I usually bring 2-3 cartons and you are allowed only 1, so I honestly declare everything, and they usually tell me: "whatever, just go =))". Honesty rocks i guess =)).

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
dentistusa said:
thank u

but i need more details.

as can i drive my car from US to there?
and will i pay tax to customs?

and how much can i take (CASH) US DOLLARS with me?
Yes, you can drive your car into Canada from the US. Yes, you can import it without paying duties on it as long as you include it on your personal effects inventory. You will need a inventory list for all items you are bringing into Canada with you - and a separate one, labeled "Goods to Follow" for any items that you will bring or ship into Canada at a later date (within a specified timeline). Anything you previously owned that is included on that list is tax free.

Now - complications: if you have a lien on your car, you will need permission from your lender before you can export it from the US. Very few lenders will give that permission - so you should own the vehicle outright. There are conditions - standards that must be met - for your vehicle to be able to be imported into Canada. Most new cars don't have a problem - you'll need a french translation for the operation of the seatbelts and you'll probably need daytime running lamps if they aren't already installed. When you take the car to customs to have it imported they will give you a list of the things you have to get done to get it in compliance and a specific time period for accomplishing that. Also, you'll need to find out first about exporting the car from the States because that piece has to be done also - and there's some language in that about having to submit a request to US Customs 72 hours in advance of export. That info, hopefully, is in the link that wilson gave you.

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
wilson said:
Hi,

Again please see here for more details about bringing your car.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2060267_import-car-from-united-states.html

Regarding cash, if you bring above CAD 10,000/= with you you have to declare at the boarder customs.
You can open an account in Canadian Bank and tranfer any amount, which you don't need to declare.
Thanks Wilson.
this was very helpful.

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
racoon said:
Hi, regarding cash.
Every year when I go home, I bring 10 000 USD with me (not CAD!), which is more than 10 000 CAD and I never had a problem =)). So you can bring 10 000 in USD, they don't care and more money/ less card transaction fees for you.

Note: I always honestly tell them that I have 10 grand US, you should too. Because if you tell them they are mostly fine with it, but if you don't it can turn into a serious problem =)). By the way, same with smokes, I usually bring 2-3 cartons and you are allowed only 1, so I honestly declare everything, and they usually tell me: "whatever, just go =))". Honesty rocks i guess =)).
Thank u very much.

i have around 20 000 USD
should i take them cash and tell the customs?
and do i need a paper from the bank here to include it with the money?

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
RobsLuv said:
Yes, you can drive your car into Canada from the US. Yes, you can import it without paying duties on it as long as you include it on your personal effects inventory. You will need a inventory list for all items you are bringing into Canada with you - and a separate one, labeled "Goods to Follow" for any items that you will bring or ship into Canada at a later date (within a specified timeline). Anything you previously owned that is included on that list is tax free.

Now - complications: if you have a lien on your car, you will need permission from your lender before you can export it from the US. Very few lenders will give that permission - so you should own the vehicle outright. There are conditions - standards that must be met - for your vehicle to be able to be imported into Canada. Most new cars don't have a problem - you'll need a french translation for the operation of the seatbelts and you'll probably need daytime running lamps if they aren't already installed. When you take the car to customs to have it imported they will give you a list of the things you have to get done to get it in compliance and a specific time period for accomplishing that. Also, you'll need to find out first about exporting the car from the States because that piece has to be done also - and there's some language in that about having to submit a request to US Customs 72 hours in advance of export. That info, hopefully, is in the link that wilson gave you.
thank u so much.

waw very very helpful information ,i appreciate ur help.
and i didnt get the point of france translation?
and i dont have any lien on my car.
so must i get the recall clearance letter?
and what do u know abt exporting car from USA on from the US side?

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hello guys::

i need help ?

I am just confused and need some help and information please..

i am planning to cross the border from US to Canada next week as a permanent resident by my car.
and one of the requirements is the recall clearance letter fro this car.

i went to dealership and he put the VIN # of my car and he said that there was a recall fro this car before with the first owner.

So does the border just need this letter regardless if the car has previous recall or not? or the car must be clear of any recalls?

i am confused and i don't want to reach the border then they will not let me cross by my car!!
it will be really a big problem.

So whoever did this before or has any information please let me know how was the process and what should i do?

thanks in advance for your cooperation.

racoon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vagerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With 20 000 you should declare it when crossing the border and you will have to pay a tax on that. However if you will be crossing together with someone, then you can split the cash in two , each of you has 10 000 , then you don't have to pay any tax. So if it is possible, do it, save some money =))
And yes it is good to have a bank statement, because you have to prove that this is your cash, not stolen.

Another thought, you can take 10 000 and put the rest on a visa card, and use it as a debit in Canada (you don't pay for transactions when paying with visa as opposed to a debit card). so you can save a bit of cash that way too.

Cheers, Raccoon

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
racoon said:
With 20 000 you should declare it when crossing the border and you will have to pay a tax on that. However if you will be crossing together with someone, then you can split the cash in two , each of you has 10 000 , then you don't have to pay any tax. So if it is possible, do it, save some money =))
And yes it is good to have a bank statement, because you have to prove that this is your cash, not stolen.

Another thought, you can take 10 000 and put the rest on a visa card, and use it as a debit in Canada (you don't pay for transactions when paying with visa as opposed to a debit card). so you can save a bit of cash that way too.

Cheers, Raccoon
Thank u.

but is it allowed to bring 10 000 cash regardless the goods evaluation (as the car,computer, perfumes,gifts and clothes)?

racoon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vagerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
10000 only includes actual cash, all the other goods are declared separately.
Cheers, Raccoon