+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is a 'native language'

mohammed241615

Star Member
Jun 21, 2008
Hi

Im planning to apply for FSW. Im filling the application forms now .

I have question on 'Native Language' in application form for permanent residence in canada .What is a native langaue . Is it a mother language (or) Is it place language where i born and brought up .

Basically im indian and im a muslim guy . So what is a native language .

pls let me know

mohammed

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
It is the language you use at home. I am not indian but as far as I know most muslims are Urdu speakers but most Muslims (that I know of) from Tamil Nadu speak Tamil as their home language. So for them, it would Tamil. What do you speak at home?

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
Dear Mohammed,

It's your mother language. For example, I am from West Bengal, India and my mother tounge is Bengali.

Regards
joy

syedrahman1980

Mar 28, 2009
mohammed241615 said:
Hi

Im planning to apply for FSW. Im filling the application forms now .

I have question on 'Native Language' in application form for permanent residence in canada .What is a native langaue . Is it a mother language (or) Is it place language where i born and brought up .

Basically im indian and im a muslim guy . So what is a native language .

pls let me know

mohammed

As per web dictionary the difinition of native language is ....

the language that a person has spoken from earliest childhood

thanks.

SYED

hammadfari

Star Member
May 9, 2009
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 2004
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
hi,

I am from Punjab, Pakistan my native language is punjabi
regards
hammad

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Definition of Native Language:

-the language that a person has spoken from earliest childhood.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/native+language

NATIVE LANGUAGE - When used with reference to a person of limited English-speaking ability, means the language normally used by that person, or in the case of a child, the language normally used by the parents of the child. Bilingual Education Act.

From Oxford:

native speaker

• noun a person who has spoken the language in question from earliest childhood.

From Wikipedia:

Mother tongue

The term "mother tongue" should not be interpreted to mean that it is the language of one's mother.

The usage of these terms is far from standardized, however.

Sometimes the term first language is used for the language that the speaker speaks best (his second language then being the language he speaks less well than his first language, etc).

like the terms first language, second language and third language are used to indicate various levels of skill in a language, so that it can be said that a person knows more than one language at first or second language level.

Sometimes the term native language is used to indicate a language that a person is as proficient in as a native inhabitant of that language's base country, or as proficient as the average person who speaks no other language but that language.

Sometimes the term mother tongue or mother language is used for the language that a person learnt at home (usually from his parents). Children growing up in bilingual homes can according to this definition have more than one mother tongue.

In the context of population censuses conducted on the Canadian population, Statistics Canada defines mother tongue as "the first language learned at home in childhood and still understood by the individual at the time of the census."[3] It is quite possible that the first language learned is no longer a speaker's dominant language. Young immigrant children, whose families have moved to a new linguistic environment may lose, in part or in totality, the language they first acquired
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_language

hemant.pandya

Jul 25, 2009
Dear Friends,

As you may know that we are supposed to write our names in our native language. What if an applicant cannot write but only able to speak his/her native language.

Best Regards,

Hemant Pandya

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Write a letter to say that the applicant cannot write in the native language.