+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if she's pregnant?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So we're just 2 weeks from becoming officially Common Law....and then I must return to Canada as I'm not able to generate income.
We're planning to apply as Common Law right away

But of course with our luck her period is 10 days late so far. 2 pregnancy tests have turned out negative.
We'll wait another week and if still no period we'll get a doctor to help us figure out if she is or not.

But if we find out if she is....what happens?
To we still apply as usual?
Would the immigration require the baby be born first before applying or accepting the application?

That would mean 9 months + the average application time not to mention having to leave her alone during her pregnancy.

ugh! If it's not one thing it's another!

dream99

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Boracay said:
So we're just 2 weeks from becoming officially Common Law....and then I must return to Canada as I'm not able to generate income.
We're planning to apply as Common Law right away

But of course with our luck her period is 10 days late so far. 2 pregnancy tests have turned out negative.
We'll wait another week and if still no period we'll get a doctor to help us figure out if she is or not.

But if we find out if she is....what happens?
To we still apply as usual?
Would the immigration require the baby be born first before applying or accepting the application?

That would mean 9 months + the average application time not to mention having to leave her alone during her pregnancy.

ugh! If it's not one thing it's another!
I don't think immigration has anything to do with that so it's up to you and your partner if you want to apply or wait until you guys have the baby.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you're saying it would not delay the process?

Would/Should we declare it?
I guess it would show up in her medical report anyway

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
If you're a canadian citizen then a baby would be aswell so it wouldnt need to be included in a PR application anyway. You would just need to make sure you got the babies papers before taking it to canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The medical is the problem. It's not about whether they can tell she's having a baby - it's that xrays are part of the medical and they can harm a baby. Has she done her medical already?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I'm a Canadian Citizen

She has not done her medical until we get back to The Philippines. We're currently in Cambodia on vacation.
Oct 14th I think we'll be able to have the exam. (today is Sept 16th)

(IF) she is pregnant....it would be new...If the application had no complications.
The average time is 8 months...sometimes 6 months (of course sometimes longer)
So there is a chance she would show up in Canada very pregnant.

So we would have to take no additional steps we would have to take and no additional waiting time provided that she hasn't had the baby yet?

I think the airline wouldn't allow her to fly after xxx amount of months anyway.
So if she did end up getting her PR....let's say for example 7 months into her pregnancy.

Can she wait til she has the baby.....or do they require her to come to Canada within a certain amount of time

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
You have a year from the date of the medical to land.
You would have to check with the airline to see what there policy is for pregnant women.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
If shes pregnant she cannot do the medical xray until at least the 3rd trimester... (some doctors will do a third trimester xray, some will not)... Unless you can convince the visa office to proceed with processing and have the visa ready waiting for medical results, it's unfortunately unlikely she will arrive before the baby is born...

Good luck and congratulations if they are in fact due... Babies are blessings wherever they are born :)

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
Boracay said:
Yes I'm a Canadian Citizen

She has not done her medical until we get back to The Philippines. We're currently in Cambodia on vacation.
Oct 14th I think we'll be able to have the exam. (today is Sept 16th)

(IF) she is pregnant....it would be new...If the application had no complications.
The average time is 8 months...sometimes 6 months (of course sometimes longer)
So there is a chance she would show up in Canada very pregnant.

So we would have to take no additional steps we would have to take and no additional waiting time provided that she hasn't had the baby yet?

I think the airline wouldn't allow her to fly after xxx amount of months anyway.
So if she did end up getting her PR....let's say for example 7 months into her pregnancy.

Can she wait til she has the baby.....or do they require her to come to Canada within a certain amount of time

It will be best if she lands after she gives birth. You can start the application process now and just delay the x-ray when it's safe. Once the baby is born she can have her x-ray taken, that's what happened to us with our first child. We found out we were pregnant but still submitted our application, as soon as I gave birth I had my x-ray. I gave birth in December, submitted the x-ray in late January and by May I had my visa with me.

You also have to take into consideration the waiting period to get the medical coverage once she lands in Canada. Some provinces you have to wait for 3 months before you can get the coverage, you guys will end up having to pay that if she is not covered. It costs a lot in Canada 5000-10000 for an uncomplicated child birth.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
10 days late and no positive, if she's usually very regular, she's probably not pregnant, could be just the stress of you leaving soon and whatever else causing hormone shifts. Our bodies like to play tricks on us (I've got 4). A positive test would show a strong line (or + or whatever) days before she was due...10 days later is pushing it.

If she's irregular though... have her get a blood test at the doc, that can detect the hormone in much smaller amounts.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah....since we're in Cambodia we're waiting until we get to Vietnam for a blood test because the facilities in this country are pretty iffy and there are lots of warnings online.

Vietnam we have some friends who know some better facilities.

A lot of people say she may not be pregnant. And with 2 negatives we want to think so also.
But she is vomiting everyday for the past week and she's been fine and energetic so I can't imagine it's food poisoning, etc

I just wish I could find some credible doctors here that won't just try and sell us things and overcharge 500% rather than treat us.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
I wonder if the tests are reliable. Being in another country, they might be junk tests. If pregnancy is causing her to throw up, there WOULD be enough hormones in her system to show on a test. Can you get another brand? It could be also stress making her ill. It really could go either way lol