+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if my passport expires while I'm in Canada?

LLiran

Aug 28, 2009
Hey,
I have a passport that is about to expire in three years.
What if I'm in Canada during that time? Would i be able to renew it while I'm there?
Or I'm doomed and I have to go back to my country?

Thanks.

ofvgard

Star Member
May 6, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-then CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/4/2012
AOR Received.
10/8/2012
IELTS Request
sent with Application
Med's Request
28/09/2012
Med's Done....
25/10/2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
10/12/2012
VISA ISSUED...
21/12/2012
LANDED..........
13/01/13
I renewed my passport in canada. Look up for the closest consulate (of your country) near you in Canada. They take about 6 weeks to renew.

cathyzhang

Aug 4, 2015
Hi guys, I was thinking of the same question when CIC asked me to submit my passport for finalization.

When I saw the passport requirements on their letter, I thought my passport did not meet the (3rd & 4th) requirements and could not be submitted:
Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.
Therefore, after I saw this, I went and renewed my passport because it is only valid until my 3rd year (2018), whereas my length of study in the application is 5 years. I thought I was being smart and following the instructions, and I didn't think it was wrong because one of my friend did the same thing.

But now I checked with the VAC and visa office in my country, this is their reply:
You need to apply for a new passport if your current one is expiring after 6 months
When you have a new passport, you can either apply for a replacement study permit or a new study permit

You cannot make any passport changes when your application is in our office. You can withdraw your application if you need your passport back
So now I'm hating myself for doing the unnecessary. I don't know how to proceed with new passport and what "replacement study permit" I need to do. It's just a change of passport no., and if this really causes me to forfeit everything I did and apply for a new permit I might as well kill myself, because I have already waited two months for my student visa, spent lots of money on medical and arrived at the very last step of the application.
:'(

I am set to travel to Canada for my first year of university before September 4th. I would really wish to speed up the process and complete my student permit application as soon as possible. Can anybody help me with this issue? Is it possible for me to send in both my old and new passport and finish the process smoothly?