+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What I can do on Implied Status

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi All,

I have another quick question today,

It was my understanding that on implied status I am allowed to remain in the country while my application is being processed. I read that I cannot study or work while on an TRV.

It was also my understanding that I applied for an OWP so that I am allowed to work while I wait for my PR application to (hopefully) be accepted, the implication being that I cannot work unless I have a legal work permit such as an OWP.

Now, I just read on another website that 'Immigration savvy applicants will know that persons under implied status can continue to visit, work or study, as applicable, under the same conditions as their expired visitor record or permits until a decision is made on their application to extend their stay in Canada.' The implication being that so long as I remain in Canada, I can continue to work as I was.

I am getting two sides of the same story here, and my work has already put me on a leave of absence while I am waiting for a decision. (Don't get me wrong they'd love to have me back, but after all the hassle and stress of telling them I am going to have to leave for a while, while waiting for my OWP, it'd just be weird).

The idea of having to stay in Canada with no means of income, expecting my partner to provide for me for months until I receive anything does seem ludicrous. I'm pretty sure that I read on the Canadian Gov website that I cannot work on implied status.

So I would like a definitive answer; can I continue to work while on implied status (TRV) so long as I stay in Canada, or do I absolutely have to wait for my OWP?

Thanks, and look forward to hearing back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I have another quick question today,

It was my understanding that on implied status I am allowed to remain in the country while my application is being processed. I read that I cannot study or work while on an TRV.

It was also my understanding that I applied for an OWP so that I am allowed to work while I wait for my PR application to (hopefully) be accepted, the implication being that I cannot work unless I have a legal work permit such as an OWP.

Now, I just read on another website that 'Immigration savvy applicants will know that persons under implied status can continue to visit, work or study, as applicable, under the same conditions as their expired visitor record or permits until a decision is made on their application to extend their stay in Canada.' The implication being that so long as I remain in Canada, I can continue to work as I was.

I am getting two sides of the same story here, and my work has already put me on a leave of absence while I am waiting for a decision. (Don't get me wrong they'd love to have me back, but after all the hassle and stress of telling them I am going to have to leave for a while, while waiting for my OWP, it'd just be weird).

The idea of having to stay in Canada with no means of income, expecting my partner to provide for me for months until I receive anything does seem ludicrous. I'm pretty sure that I read on the Canadian Gov website that I cannot work on implied status.

So I would like a definitive answer; can I continue to work while on implied status (TRV) so long as I stay in Canada, or do I absolutely have to wait for my OWP?

Thanks, and look forward to hearing back.
What kind of work permit did you hold previously?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you can't work in the period between when your IEC ends and when your OWP begins. This assumes you applied for in inland spousal sponsorship.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you applied for a different kind of permit:
You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

That’s from the IRC website . Unfortunately the IEC doesn’t fall under implied status , once it’s done it’s done

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
No you can't work in the period between when your IEC ends and when your OWP begins. This assumes you applied for in inland spousal sponsorship.
Yup I applied inland for spousal sponsorship.

I applied for a visitor visa in the case that there might be a delay in getting my AOR. Still waiting for that. I applied for an OWP while I wait for my PR. So I got 3 visas I am waiting on now ahah. Just trying to cover any bases.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Okay so I just have to exist in the country until I receive a decision at this point? I mean I am okay with that. I've prepared for it. I am not working now. My IEC expired on the 8th. I stopped working on the 7th. My employers have put me on a leave of absence while I wait, so I won't be earning, but once I do get the OWP I can resume with my employer.

Just got to buckle down and ride this through I guess. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay so I just have to exist in the country until I receive a decision at this point? I mean I am okay with that. I've prepared for it. I am not working now. My IEC expired on the 8th. I stopped working on the 7th. My employers have put me on a leave of absence while I wait, so I won't be earning, but once I do get the OWP I can resume with my employer.

Just got to buckle down and ride this through I guess. :)
No you can stay in Canada. Actually I wouldn't leave until you get the OWP. You just have to wait for the OWP to come through and then you can start working again. Then you can start your MSP waiting period also.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
No you can stay in Canada. Actually I wouldn't leave until you get the OWP. You just have to wait for the OWP to come through and then you can start working again. Then you can start your MSP waiting period also.
Don't worry I wasn't planning on leaving. I mean I'd love to go and see my family for Christmas, but they know I've got to wait this thing out. I've heard that if you leave before you get an official permit, there's a chance you won't be allowed back in, or it could damage your application, so I'm not going to try anything foolish like that :) I have enough money saved up to give my partner my share of the rent for months to come so I am covered there. I'll just try to do some freelance stuff from UK companies in the meantime for a bit of income..

Going to be a tough time, but I've come to terms with that now. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't worry I wasn't planning on leaving. I mean I'd love to go and see my family for Christmas, but they know I've got to wait this thing out. I've heard that if you leave before you get an official permit, there's a chance you won't be allowed back in, or it could damage your application, so I'm not going to try anything foolish like that :) I have enough money saved up to give my partner my share of the rent for months to come so I am covered there.

Going to be a tough time, but I've come to terms with that now. :)
Yes you are right. You lose the implied status if you leave Canada. Just wanted to mention it especially given the holiday season. On a positive note you have a job waiting for you when you get your OWP. Many are not that lucky. Best of luck.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Yes you are right. You lose the implied status if you leave Canada. Just wanted to mention it especially given the holiday season. On a positive note you have a job waiting for you when you get your OWP. Many are not that lucky. Best of luck.
Thanks, I appreciate that! Got to look at the positives in these times! :)

brar8017

Nov 12, 2018
Hi there'
I applied for my visitor extension and sent my PR+OWP inland when I was on implied status.
I got my AOR , visitor extension approved recently.
I have a question that applying under implied status will :affect my OWP application or not?
if yes ; can/should I send another OWP application? as now I have visitor status.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi there'
I applied for my visitor extension and sent my PR+OWP inland when I was on implied status.
I got my AOR , visitor extension approved recently.
I have a question that applying under implied status will :affect my OWP application or not?
if yes ; can/should I send another OWP application? as now I have visitor status.
Your OWP approval will be delayed if your existing visa/permit had already expired when you submitted the OWP application. Implied status does not remove this requirement.

brar8017

Nov 12, 2018
Your OWP approval will be delayed if your existing visa/permit had already expired when you submitted the OWP application. Implied status does not remove this requirement.
thanks zardoz, can I ask how much will it be delayed? Sending a new owp application is any helpful?