Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
15 AUGUST :D
Hello. So when I finish school in 4years, my passport will only have 1year left. So Im guessing when I apply for a PGWP, Ill be issued with that 1yr though I will be eligible for 3. So if I return to my home country, and get a new passport, will I still be able to re-enter Canada with the old passport that will have the temporary resident visa and the pgwp and then get the extension done in the new passport?

Thanks!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From my understanding the visas are tied to the passport so if you have a new passport you need new visas. BTW - why would you need to go home for a new passport?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
theoptimist said:
Hello. So when I finish school in 4years, my passport will only have 1year left. So Im guessing when I apply for a PGWP, Ill be issued with that 1yr though I will be eligible for 3. So if I return to my home country, and get a new passport, will I still be able to re-enter Canada with the old passport that will have the temporary resident visa and the pgwp and then get the extension done in the new passport?

Thanks!
You can renew your passport without going to home country (if you are specifically going for renewal)

http://www.cgitoronto.ca/Passport/passpRenew.html

PGWP/TRV/Study permit can't be of a period exceeding passport expiry date.

If you visit home country and renew passport, TRV on old passport will not be valid any longer and you will need to apply for new TRV from your home country.

So, you can wait for studies to get over, apply for renewal and then apply for PGWP.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
theoptimist said:

Thanks!
u have to carry both of ur passports old and new ..ur visa on old passport is fine if it is valid they wont transfer visa from old to new. so i am guessing u r going to apply for new passport enter with both passports and then apply for PGWP right?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

"13.15.Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's valid"

theoptimist

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Harare
Visa Office......
Harare / Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
mead said:
u have to carry both of ur passports old and new ..ur visa on old passport is fine if it is valid they wont transfer visa from old to new. so i am guessing u r going to apply for new passport enter with both passports and then apply for PGWP right?
This is what I was thinking. So the PGWP extension will then be granted in the new passport.

theoptimist

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Harare
Visa Office......
Harare / Pretoria, South Africa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2013
Med's Request
10-07-2013
Med's Done....
11-07-2013
Passport Req..
Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
LANDED..........
sabby2612 said:
Old passport will be a cancelled passport and TRV on old passport will no longer be valid.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=494&t=15

VAlid passport required to enter/re-enter Canada;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=494&t=15
I don't think TRV will be invalid as I will still travel with both passports.

mead said:

If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's valid"
Thank you very much...I think this is the right info for me!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
you r welcome.....but as said before by everyone u dont need to go to ur home country to renew ur passport just a thought....

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:

hm... agreed.

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
hey "theoptimist",
did you happen to do what you were describing in this thread? what happened to your TRV? could you use it even though it was in your old passport?