+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens to canadian banks if PR Status is lost

Apr 8, 2020
Not sure if anyone would have an answer to this. But my wife is a Permanent Residence of Canada.
She is currently living in Japan due to some unforeseen circumstance If she loses her PR status because she is away to long then what would happen to her bank accounts in Canada? Would she still have access to them? Does she need to maintain her PR status to keep her bank accounts?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not sure if anyone would have an answer to this. But my wife is a Permanent Residence of Canada.
She is currently living in Japan due to some unforeseen circumstance If she loses her PR status because she is away to long then what would happen to her bank accounts in Canada? Would she still have access to them? Does she need to maintain her PR status to keep her bank accounts?
Nothing happens to her accounts.

Reactions: scylla

Bobby1503

Apr 4, 2020
The bank has nothing to do with PR. As per my personal experience, since my PR expired as I did not complete requisite stay period, the bank account I had in Canada, did not get affected. Though it may get dormant if not operated over a period of time, but the money shall continue to belong to account holder.